New (to me) car!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

satinbutterfly

Miss Piggy
Reaction score
Tokenz
169.23z
I would definitely drive your car vs. renting. If you lease a car, then a rental is a must, but since you're going to own the car I don't see any issues.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Ok lol he seems to be in the minority. I get so fucked over by Enterprise, I'd love to never see them again lol.

NoDak

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Here it is! 2009 Ford Focus SE w/45,000 miles on it for $10,999
KBB value is $12,700 :eek
The thing is beautiful, mint, smells like new car still :24:

Carfax came back fine, new tires, and pretty dark tints. At first I thought the tints would look to...um..."hood", but it's awesome. So proud of my baby!
PrincessParrot.jpg

Can't wait to take more shots but I signed the paperwork at dusk and had to rush in to work this morning.

I think I got a pretty good deal!
They're offering me a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty at the dealership for $790.
Think I should take it??

Today's cars are long lived vehicles. With only 45K on the clock, you've got 150,000 miles of dependable driving to look forward to. You say you have drivetrain warranty til 70K? Drive train's the spendy part of the vehicle anyway, so save the $$$ and forget the extended deal, waste of money. For $700-and-some, you can pay for quite a few out-of-pocket repairs. When you were looking to us for advice on cars, earlier, you mentioned that you have a friendly mechanic that your family uses. Go to him for your repairs as much as possible. Such things as idler pulleys, belts, stuff like that are expensive in and of themselves, but, he's not likely to screw you over. They're not rocket science to work on, so his labor rate's gonna be less than at a dealershyster.
DO drive the car on those 600-mile round trips. It will be GOOD for your car to get out on the open road and stretch her legs. Regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc. go a long way to keeping your baby happy and rarin' to go wherever you wanna go.
Your dad's worried about tires??? That's so 1940's! Today's tires, provided they have good tread, kept at proper inflation, and rotated on a regular basis, will go a long ways. That $160 he's worried about won't be happenin' for a loooonnnnng time!
Change oil at about 3K miles, rotate tires about 5K, especially in mostly city driving, have your mechanic look 'er over on a regular basis and you're baby's gonna do you well!

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Today's cars are long lived vehicles. With only 45K on the clock, you've got 150,000 miles of dependable driving to look forward to. You say you have drivetrain warranty til 70K? Drive train's the spendy part of the vehicle anyway, so save the $$$ and forget the extended deal, waste of money. For $700-and-some, you can pay for quite a few out-of-pocket repairs. When you were looking to us for advice on cars, earlier, you mentioned that you have a friendly mechanic that your family uses. Go to him for your repairs as much as possible. Such things as idler pulleys, belts, stuff like that are expensive in and of themselves, but, he's not likely to screw you over. They're not rocket science to work on, so his labor rate's gonna be less than at a dealershyster.
DO drive the car on those 600-mile round trips. It will be GOOD for your car to get out on the open road and stretch her legs. Regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc. go a long way to keeping your baby happy and rarin' to go wherever you wanna go.
Your dad's worried about tires??? That's so 1940's! Today's tires, provided they have good tread, kept at proper inflation, and rotated on a regular basis, will go a long ways. That $160 he's worried about won't be happenin' for a loooonnnnng time!
Change oil at about 3K miles, rotate tires about 5K, especially in mostly city driving, have your mechanic look 'er over on a regular basis and you're baby's gonna do you well!

Thank you thank you!!!
I am prone to agreeing with you guys. He's just used to us having old cars and my mother being a freak about miles.
Once I took her car 1 mile out of the way to a Burlington Coat Factory as a teenager and she never let me drive it again, said I was reckless and "running the wheels off it". I only wish I were kidding.

Anyway, ya I think I've got a good thing here, shouldn't stress too much and just enjoy it. Don't get a new car every day!
:)

rback33

Back Again... but reformed...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Very nice dear! And never rent again.. those people are there to make money.. no reason for them to make it off of you... if renting penciled out, no one would own a car...

jassilem

Peek-a-Boo
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Congrats sweetie.

And I am with everyone just take your car north hun.. Renting is only when you need to.

The save on your rentals for a year will pay for your warranty. Which IMO you should get hun.

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Very nice dear! And never rent again.. those people are there to make money.. no reason for them to make it off of you... if renting penciled out, no one would own a car...

Thank you!
What do you think of the warranty, Jer?

rback33

Back Again... but reformed...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thank you!
What do you think of the warranty, Jer?

Read it close. There are usually tons of clauses that exclude this and that.. like gaskets.. blow a head gasket, you are SOL... I would ask specific questions about things like that.... I would consider it though... I bought one with my pickup since it was close to 100K on the odometer... In the end I am not sure what the hell they would cover if I needed it after calling the dealership and asking some questions...

AnitaBeer

I kissed a leprechaun...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I wouldn't pay the extra fee for only 11k miles added onto your warranty already on the car. Unless they are saying it's an additional 36k on top of the remaining you have left. Also the PT warranty doesn't cover half the shit we think it does so get a very specified list of what is and isn't covered.

BTW grats on the new car!

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Read it close. There are usually tons of clauses that exclude this and that.. like gaskets.. blow a head gasket, you are SOL... I would ask specific questions about things like that.... I would consider it though... I bought one with my pickup since it was close to 100K on the odometer... In the end I am not sure what the hell they would cover if I needed it after calling the dealership and asking some questions...

I wouldn't pay the extra fee for only 11k miles added onto your warranty already on the car. Unless they are saying it's an additional 36k on top of the remaining you have left. Also the PT warranty doesn't cover half the shit we think it does so get a very specified list of what is and isn't covered.

BTW grats on the new car!

You're both right. I packed the pamphlet to bring to work to read closely but I left it at home D:
The specifics are important and I'm not afraid to ask him what they are. Labor? What types of things are covered?
It is a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, so it covers me for the 36,000.

But I need to dig a bit into this.

AnitaBeer

I kissed a leprechaun...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

I guess I could have read the replies to the topic before actually replying lol. You beat me to it.

78,869Threads
2,185,249Messages
4,954Members
Back