Need help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
So I saw this and LOVED it......

garland.jpg

I just made the garland but in red and gold and it turned out really well but....how do I fasten it to the outside of my house without screwing/drilling hooks into the siding??

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Francis

Sarcasm is me :)
Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
I guess it may help to say what surface your trying to affix this to ?

Wood, cement, marble, ceramic, brick ?

Minderella

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
You could probably use some of those 3M hook things, the ones you can put up and then pull the strip and they come right off.

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
You could probably use some of those 3M hook things, the ones you can put up and then pull the strip and they come right off.

I was hoping someone would suggest that...do you think they'd hold up outside? I'm in eastern Canada...it'll be pretty damp/windy here.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,377.70z
Okay, that is SUPER cute. How hard was it to make???

Do you have the 3M hanging hooks where you are??? You can get them in Wal-mart. They have a sticky backing but pull right off when you're done. If you put those up and maybe use twist ties or pipe cleaners that closely match the garland colors, you might be able to hang it that way.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,377.70z
Ha ha, that's what I get for keeping the window open and not refreshing before answering, LOL

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Okay, that is SUPER cute. How hard was it to make???

Do you have the 3M hanging hooks where you are??? You can get them in Wal-mart. They have a sticky backing but pull right off when you're done. If you put those up and maybe use twist ties or pipe cleaners that closely match the garland colors, you might be able to hang it that way.

I'm hoping that will work...I made the garland with thin wire and pipe cleaners to tie the ribbon in place, so there's lots of places to fasten onto something...hope they'll work outside. Is there such a thing as an exterior version of those hooks?

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,377.70z
I'm hoping that will work...I made the garland with thin wire and pipe cleaners to tie the ribbon in place, so there's lots of places to fasten onto something...hope they'll work outside. Is there such a thing as an exterior version of those hooks?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I've never actually used them before...just heard they work well.

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I've used them inside and they're great...not sure on the outside though. I'll hit Home Depot tomomorrow in a mad furry and find out. I'm dying to buy a Christmasy lamp post there, also gold and red...it would look soooooooo good at the other entrance, but it's $160 and that seems just too ridiculous to me.

Minderella

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I would almost be willing to bet that they either make a specific outdoor version, or they work everywhere.

I think once you get an initial good seal on them, and put the little cover on that they'd stay through just about anything--they are pretty damn strong.

But definitely check them out--they should have a huge display by the Christmas stuffs right now.

Other than those--I can't think of much else you could use that wouldn't damage the siding.

Francis

Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z

Hummm.. 3M Hooks usually come off as soon as you try to put them on siding due to the fact its cold and the siding is not perfectly flat..

Can you pry the siding up a little bit..

You could make little hooks with either string ( or something stronger ) that can slide underneath the siding.. Something that won't damage it..

Just a suggestion..

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
You could make little hooks with either string ( or something stronger ) that can slide underneath the siding.. Something that won't damage it..

Just a suggestion..

That's not a bad idea, I'll see if the hubby is up to that.

I would almost be willing to bet that they either make a specific outdoor version, or they work everywhere.

I think once you get an initial good seal on them, and put the little cover on that they'd stay through just about anything--they are pretty damn strong.

But definitely check them out--they should have a huge display by the Christmas stuffs right now.

Other than those--I can't think of much else you could use that wouldn't damage the siding.

That's the thing...we're in a rental this year, can't damage the siding. I'll hound a rep at Home Depot.....
over the door hangers are your best option.

But what about holding it in place on the sides? I can see how the over the door hangers would work for the top....good idea, never thought of that.

Minderella

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I'm all for using creative and undamaging ways to hang Christmas deco outside, we use zip ties to hang lights off the desk, haha. I've just never found a way to attach anything to siding, other than biting the bullet and putting a hook or nail. Understandable that you can't do that though because you are in a rental.

Francis

Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
If you make a knot at the end of a string you can slide it under the siding.. If it's not big enough the first time make it bigger and bigger.. :)

It depends on the type.. Mine is all wood.. Not an issue.. bwahahahaha

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I'm all for using creative and undamaging ways to hang Christmas deco outside, we use zip ties to hang lights off the desk, haha. I've just never found a way to attach anything to siding, other than biting the bullet and putting a hook or nail. Understandable that you can't do that though because you are in a rental.

Haha...we used zip ties to put the lights on the trees outside today. Last year the husband used a staple gun all around the house (not this one) and it drove me mad!!

Francis

Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
Haha...we used zip ties to put the lights on the trees outside today. Last year the husband used a staple gun all around the house (not this one) and it drove me mad!!

I got the easy hooks for my lights ( Rona ).. Put them up 5 years ago and it takes me 5 minutes to put up all the lights in the front of my house front and garage.. LOVE IT... :D

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
If you make a knot at the end of a string you can slide it under the siding.. If it's not big enough the first time make it bigger and bigger.. :)

It depends on the type.. Mine is all wood.. Not an issue.. bwahahahaha

That's a great idea...but you tie string around your wood? That must hurt!!!! (couldn't resist)

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back