Kids with Smartphones and Tablets

Users who are viewing this thread

pafjlh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.29z
My sister use to work in a school and she would shake her head when she saw students who couldn't be more then eight years old with these devices. She felt they were way too young to understand the responsibility of having such a device. I have to agree with her, I don't have a smartphone yet there are kids out there with one.

I take no offense to this if the kid has actually earned the phone themselves not just had it handed to them by their parents. I mean when that happens a kid doesn't understand how expensive the phone or the tablet were, they don't understand the maintenance or the charges involved. For me I just think that unless a kid and that included a teenager can afford the device or at least half of the device then they shouldn't have it. That was a philosophy my parents had they provided us with all the necessities of life, but any of the additional things we wanted we had to earn them ourselves. This taught us the responsibility or earning money and the responsibility of having a high price item.

Ye, I know that some parents think cellphones are a necessity to keep in touch with their kids. But in this case they are basic phones and pay as you go plans, kids don't need to fanciest of gadgets.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

HELLOnamesdana

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
It actually makes me cringe when young kids are given really expensive and fancy phones and tablets for their personal use all of the time. When I see anyone under the age of like 15 with an iPhone or an android phone, I definitely think that's a problem. I've seen 6 year old kids who's parents bought them iPhones for them to use and I think that it is ridiculous!

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
It actually makes me cringe when young kids are given really expensive and fancy phones and tablets for their personal use all of the time. When I see anyone under the age of like 15 with an iPhone or an android phone, I definitely think that's a problem. I've seen 6 year old kids who's parents bought them iPhones for them to use and I think that it is ridiculous!
There are obviously differing views on whether children should have utilization of pricey technology such as cellphones and tablets. Some claim that exposing children to technology and digital media at a young age can help them acquire critical digital literacy skills and stay connected with friends and family. Others, on the other hand, have reservations about the possible detrimental consequences of excessive screen time on young children's development, such as concentration, sleep, and socializing issues.

cherry123

Reaction score
Tokenz
157.93z
I don't really see any thing weird about this provided the child is being given the device for ease of communication alone.

Shortie

Reaction score
Tokenz
334.99z
I remember once when I took my kids to the opticians for an appointment, there were two kids in there with their mum and they both had a mobile device each that had an internet connection and they were sat scrolling on TikTok, they can only have been around 4 - 6 years old and they were glued to these phones. That is where I draw the line and say it is wrong as that seems as though she used the device to make life easier for her to an extent even though the kids were there for an appointment.

I believe kids should not have a mobile device until they are 13 years old. At that age, I feel it is suitable for safety reasons.

I don't mind seeing kids with tablets to play games on as that is understandable but a phone with an internet connection and out and about just doesn't sit right with me.

relcap23

Reaction score
Tokenz
737.53z
Generally then child will be trained to be exposed to technology but one of the disadvantages is the child may have tendency to be physically lazy and active because he will just be confined in one place. It would still be the responsibility of the parents to strike a balance on the child's activity between engaging in technology and doing physical games and activities.

riberet19

Reaction score
Tokenz
326.83z
I think that as long as they use it for productive things or school is fine, but the fact of using them to play or waste time with them or even that they use social networks I do not see it very positive to tell the truth.

Salt

Reaction score
Tokenz
246.55z
Kids shouldn't be allowed to play games on phone for hours, yes its good if they are studying but still I think they should be allowed to learn offline

Raja

Reaction score
Tokenz
144.20z
I think that as long as they use it for productive things or school is fine, but the fact of using them to play or waste time with them or even that they use social networks I do not see it very positive to tell the truth.
Kids shouldn't be allowed to bring phone with them at school

Raja

Reaction score
Tokenz
144.20z
Generally then child will be trained to be exposed to technology but one of the disadvantages is the child may have tendency to be physically lazy and active because he will just be confined in one place. It would still be the responsibility of the parents to strike a balance on the child's activity between engaging in technology and doing physical games and activities.
Not everything available on internet is helpful so kids should not be allowed phones.

Raja

Reaction score
Tokenz
144.20z
I remember once when I took my kids to the opticians for an appointment, there were two kids in there with their mum and they both had a mobile device each that had an internet connection and they were sat scrolling on TikTok, they can only have been around 4 - 6 years old and they were glued to these phones. That is where I draw the line and say it is wrong as that seems as though she used the device to make life easier for her to an extent even though the kids were there for an appointment.

I believe kids should not have a mobile device until they are 13 years old. At that age, I feel it is suitable for safety reasons.

I don't mind seeing kids with tablets to play games on as that is understandable but a phone with an internet connection and out and about just doesn't sit right with me.
This is harmful for the kids and the society because every second person can be seen with glasses

Raja

Reaction score
Tokenz
144.20z
There are obviously differing views on whether children should have utilization of pricey technology such as cellphones and tablets. Some claim that exposing children to technology and digital media at a young age can help them acquire critical digital literacy skills and stay connected with friends and family. Others, on the other hand, have reservations about the possible detrimental consequences of excessive screen time on young children's development, such as concentration, sleep, and socializing issues.
I am of the view that kids should not be allowed to use phone until they attain a certain age

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,402.55z
As a rule kids do not appreciate the value of expensive items. My children are adults in their 30's now and never have a phone last 2 years. I have held on for up to 9 years between phones. Last fall stepped up to 5G.

teh_fuzz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tokenz
124.51z
Would I have done it differently, probably but I got my girls cell phones simply to keep in touch with them while they were at their mother’s house.

Was it an expensive endeavor? Yes! screens replaced 4-5 times, 4-5 phone upgrades since…

relcap23

Reaction score
Tokenz
737.53z
Parents should set up rules in the house as regards to the usage of phone. It should not ho beyond over what the child should do. Home activities should be used properly and hours divided accordingly like physical activity studying and other kidstuff.

cherry123

Reaction score
Tokenz
157.93z
Parents should set up rules in the house as regards to the usage of phone. It should not ho beyond over what the child should do. Home activities should be used properly and hours divided accordingly like physical activity studying and other kidstuff.
Exactly, this is why they are parent they need to carry out their supervisory roles and care for the kids more.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back