KARACHI IN $1. -- A WONDERFUL CITY TO VISIT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
I asked how is it safe,,,not how safe it is.
Lets try this again...with the taliban controlling 25 percent of the city...how is it safe to visit.
It is also the most dangerous mega city in the world.
How is this a wonderful city to visit?
For terrorists possible yes...but you have already stated elsewhere it is very dangerous for am American.
So why would you want Westerners to visit?...given the dangers and all.

Read the original post again...I didn't write it but some foreign visitors.
They wrote what they saw...and must be believed.
It is not true that one fourth Karachi is controlled by Taliban,,,,,the one who said is is a political rival of Pathans (who all are misnomered as Talibans)...
you have NO idea about the political rivalries among different ethnic and linguistic factions fighting each other for legal and illegal advantages..alongwith struggle to snatch the electorate..

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
In Karachi, a unique celebration of the World Cup
The Baloch people of Karachi love football more than cricket, and every World Cup is celebrated in a wonderfully vibrant way.
Saba Imtiaz · 15 hours ago

ce8d8add-2d5f-4651-ae1b-faa1a6ad5eec.jpg

Pakistan is a country obsessed with cricket: this is a place where cricketing metaphors doubled as election slogans in the last parliamentary election (“hum clean sweep kardeinge”), where the travails of the cricket board is invariably headline news, where every neighborhood has one – or three – street cricket teams arguing late into the night about whether that last ball really was a wide. This is a country where the memory of the World Cup semifinal loss at Mohali is still raw, where the current captain, Misbah-ul-Haq, is as divisive a character as any politician, where people still throw their TV sets out the window when Pakistan loses a match.

But there’s also a neighbourhood in Karachi where cricket isn’t an obsession. The residents of Siddiq Goth, in Karachi’s Malir district, don’t care about cricket. The boys aren’t debating whether Wasim was better than Waqar. Here, politics, friendship and money take a backseat to the event of the year: the football World Cup.

Siddiq Goth, a neighbourhood of ethnic Baloch men and women, has been transformed into a shrine to a tournament being held halfway around the world. It’s almost surreal. The boys of Siddiq Goth cheer on Argentina and Brazil, they hoist German flags from their rooftops. A screen has been rigged up in the local community centre; they’ve gathered money for a generator so they don’t miss a second of the games.

And there’s art: every wall bears homage to the neighbourhood’s favourite players and teams. There is graffiti portraiture of Messi and Neymar, German and Argentinean flags, an entire wall showing the World Cup groupings. I saw a lanky teenager studiously painting a logo, using an image downloaded on someone’s cell phone.

1403366605-478_A-guy-paints-a-logo-in-Siddiq-Goth.jpg

Noorain, a middle-aged Baloch woman, pointed excitedly at her son’s work of art, a flag of Argentina. “I’m happy when my son’s team wins,” she says. “Everyone here becomes brothers for their team.”

“Taaliyan!” yelled a kid, as she finished talking.

It felt like a film set. But there’s nothing “filmy” about the football fans of Siddiq Goth. There is little cynicism or bitterness, despite contending with a degree of unemployment. Kids in this neighbourhood grow up loving football over any other sport. Their fathers watch it avidly. Older boys in the neighborhood are perpetually kicking a ball around. They watch European club football too, but the World Cup is the biggest deal.

This is a longstanding passion amongst the ethnic Baloch community in Karachi. They’ve produced players who have played on the national team. They say there have also been talented players who ended up disenchanted with the corruption that besets Pakistani football and the lack of government funding and support. “You’re paid a pittance to play for the football national team. Look at how much cricketers get paid!” says Ali Nawaz Wali, a 30-year-old football fan.

1403366705-1231_Messi-love-in-Siddiq-Goth.jpg

There are dozens of small football clubs in Baloch neighbourhoods. When I visited Siddiq Goth, the local Gul Baloch football club was prepping for a match that was to take place the next day. Ali Nawaz Wali pointed to the neighbourhood’s star striker as he walked to a tuition centre, books underneath his arm to study for an exam. He was studying though he had a match, Wali pointed out. “We’re like a family here,” Wali said. “We make our neighbourhood what it is.”

Tahir Baloch, the coach for the local Gul Baloch football club, is a fan of the Italian national team. “I’m 35, and I’ve been watching the game for as long as I can remember,” he said. “All of this will help the boys; they’ll get more spirit and enthusiasm. We have good players here. There’s more support for cricket in Pakistan, but if people supported football exceptional players could be produced.”

“There are more footballers here than people with an actual job,” Wali says.

The amazing wall art is just one of the things that make Siddiq Goth such a hub of football fandom. The neighbourhood is filled with all sorts of characters, including Mama ‘Brazil’ Sharif – who has named himself after his favorite team. He sells flags during the tournament. “The prices depend on how good the team is, not how big it is,” Mama ‘Brazil’ says, as he unfurls the flags while kids peek through the shop grille.

1403366771-1056_Brazil-wall-art-in-Siddiq-Goth.jpg

The young men of Siddiq Goth paint their neighbourhood for every World Cup. At night they get together to watch the matches at the community centre. Wali estimates they sometimes get a thousand people. What about the women? “The girls watch too, but at home,” says Yaqub. “Here it’s just boys.”

The men arrive an hour before the game, armed with flags of their team and sit on separate sides of the room, divided by team allegiance. When the power goes out – as it does at all hours during the summer in Karachi – they scramble to get the generator going. Despite the charged environment, fights don’t break out, though people do argue passionately about the merits of their favourite team. But the winning fans have a taunt for the losing side that’s as World Cup-themed as their painted walls: “Baro loga” – ”go home” in Balochi – sung to the tune of Shakira's “Waka Waka”, the ubiquitous anthem of the last edition.

Share this:

Stone

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
They wrote what they saw...and must be believed.
It is not true that one fourth Karachi is controlled by Taliban,,,,,the one who said is is a political rival of Pathans (who all are misnomered as Talibans)...
you have NO idea about the political rivalries among different ethnic and linguistic factions fighting each other for legal and illegal advantages..alongwith struggle to snatch the electorate..

I don't think Man trusts you.

Stone

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The men arrive an hour before the game, armed with flags of their team and sit on separate sides of the room, divided by team allegiance. When the power goes out – as it does at all hours during the summer in Karachi – they scramble to get the generator going..........................:

Interesting....Pakistan has enough money to afford a nuclear weapons program and fund state terrorism, but not enough money to build sufficient electrical generation for the civilian population.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Interesting....Pakistan has enough money to afford a nuclear weapons program and fund state terrorism, but not enough money to build sufficient electrical generation for the civilian population.

Acquiring nukes is a different matter....electricity shortage is another.
India too suffers from acute electricity shortage....but has nukes.
There are also other third world countries which have power shortage...so?

What buggers you if a country has nukes or not?
If you can have them why not others?
It's reported that North Korea is coming up ....and China has already. Who knows if Iran has nukes?
Why do you get bothered and sleepless?

Stone

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Acquiring nukes is a different matter....electricity shortage is another......................................................

Both are issues of spending money.
It's obvious your government has little thought of their citizen's welfare.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
They wrote what they

saw...and must be believed.
You also created a thread about how they are thriving..so now you want disclaim that as well?

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
This also may be of interest...Karachi is one of the gay capitals of the world. ..a great place to visit if you are gay....but remember it is also the most dangerous mega city in the world

http://www.offtopicz.net/threads/why-pakistan-has-an-extremely-high-gay-population.78248/

I agree Karachi is one of the most dangerous cities in the world but I cannot agree with that it is a 'gay ' capital.

unfortunately I haven't met any gay so far...If i meet him i will break his bones.
However, I can see the number of eunuchs growing in the town,,and i know they are gandoo's ...passive buggers..
and they are involved in all kinds of vices.

Karachi is dangerous because many mafia' are operating here..
they are not necessarily Taliban but some operate under their cover deceptively because people, nay the super power too dreads them! There are land mafia, extortionists, target killers and muggers ...all around and some areas are almost No go areas.

But the overall situation is under control ,,,and law enforcing agencies are routing them one by one...
the biggest problem here seems to be Afghan refugees,,,,,they ought to be registered but aren't and you dont know who actually they are. They can move around the city freely but it is a pity that others cannot even dare to enter their illegal settlements in the suburb of the city.

America should come forward and either get them registered or destroy their illegal settlements. these are indeed fruits ,,poisonous fruits of the war on terror ,,levied on to us...and America must direct its attention to it ...rather than run for oil and destroy country after country..

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Karachi is dangerous because many mafia' are operating here..
they are not necessarily Taliban but some operate under their cover deceptively because people, nay the super power too dreads them! There are land mafia, extortionists, target killers and muggers ...all around and some areas are almost No go areas.
But the overall situation is under control ,,,and law enforcing agencies are routing them one by one...
the biggest problem here seems to be Afghan refugees,,,,,they ought to be registered but aren't and you dont know who actually they are. They can move around the city freely but it is a pity that others cannot even dare to enter their illegal settlements in the suburb of the city.
America should come forward and either get them registered or destroy their illegal settlements. these are indeed fruits ,,poisonous fruits of the war on terror ,,levied on to us...and America must direct its attention to it ...rather than run for oil and destroy country after country.
A no go area is dangerous just due to the fact it is a no go area...IMO if an area gets that bad where cops fire trucks ambulances etc can not enter due to attack..then let the riots begin.
You have just enough personnel show up so that the people in the no go area feel confident and start to riot...have the troops come in and whip everyone's ass.

You can also go around condemning buildings.
Remove bridges.
Cut off utilities.

Imprison people that do not register.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
A no go area is dangerous just due to the fact it is a no go area...IMO if an area gets that bad where cops fire trucks ambulances etc can not enter due to attack..then let the riots begin.
You have just enough personnel show up so that the people in the no go area feel confident and start to riot...have the troops come in and whip everyone's ass.

You can also go around condemning buildings.
Remove bridges.
Cut off utilities.

Imprison people that do not register.
Easy said than done..
most of these areas are illegal encroachments,,,illegal settlement of thousands and thousands, You don't know who is who...
law enforcing agencies are operating there but still it remains impossible for the civilians to travel there..

there are No bridges or proper utilities there ,,,
those are sub standard areas of Karachi...
If people don't own something how can they lose it??
Some criminals are hiding there and our security forces are giving them rough hand yet they cannot blow off millions of people living there...

Americans know this fact.....

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Perhaps you should start heavily harassing the citizens there..its not as if you have a constitution modeled after the United States.
You nation has charged a nine month old baby with attempted murder...gave a death sentence to a christian woman for drinking from an unmarked cup...honored killed in front of the police station while the police just watched.
With the above facts and how your law operates..they can harass those citizens in the no go areas without violating the system in PK

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Perhaps you should start heavily harassing the citizens there..its not as if you have a constitution modeled after the United States.
You nation has charged a nine month old baby with attempted murder...gave a death sentence to a christian woman for drinking from an unmarked cup...honored killed in front of the police station while the police just watched.
With the above facts and how your law operates..they can harass those citizens in the no go areas without violating the system in PK

All your allegations are mere propaganda and half truths.....
Nobody is heard to have been granted life sentence for ''drinking from an unmarked cup''...that's bullshit. This issue has been debated many times with you and I just don't like to repeat my refutation again ...if you don't stop from this litany It would be presumed that you are bent upon deliberate trolling.

Yes, there have been cases of mob violence right before the eyes of police...which i already told you is no exception from corruption.

As far as 'harassing people living in the slum areas is concerned' it reflects your childish wish or wishful thinking..Were it so easy the US would have accomplished some success in its 11 years of unending so called war on terror..but in fact the war has given impetus to terrorism and you are responsible for disturbing the peace and tranquility of the whole world!

Indiscriminate killing are unfair..and only could be expected of Israel bombing innocent civilians in Gaza ....with your and world conscience drunk with the wine of arrogance and callousness.

Why don't you visit Pak and devise a plan to destroy the terrorists hiding in the slums and mountains of Waziristan and Afghanistan>>?? Don't sit on the fence ,,jump into the arena and fight your own war!

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Nobody is heard to have been granted life sentence for ''drinking from an unmarked cup''...that's bullshit. This issue has been debated many times with you and I just don't like to repeat my refutation again ...if you don't stop from this litany It would be presumed that you are bent upon deliberate trolling.

Yes, there have been cases of mob violence right before the eyes of police...which i already told you is no exception from corruption.

As far as 'harassing people living in the slum areas is concerned' it reflects your childish wish or wishful thinking..Were it so easy the US would have accomplished some success in its 11 years of unending so called war on terror..but in fact the war has given impetus to terrorism and you are responsible for disturbing the peace and tranquility of the whole world!

Indiscriminate killing are unfair..and only could be expected of Israel bombing innocent civilians in Gaza ....with your and world conscience drunk with the wine of arrogance and callousness.

Why don't you visit Pak and devise a plan to destroy the terrorists hiding in the slums and mountains of Waziristan and Afghanistan>>?? Don't sit on the fence ,,jump into the arena and fight your own war!

Its is documented and it happened the woman drank from the wrong cup...she was a Christian which insulted Islam as she got her Christian lips on the cup..the cup was unmarked.
If their corrupt asses can watch people killing their own daughter in the square..then they are corrupt enough to go harass the people in the no go areas...Oh wait they are no go areas..convenient
Then stop whining and let them operate outside the law as you have been doing.

They fire rockets into Israel all the time at citizens..and you blame Israel when it fights back..you also failed to back up your claim that Israel is targeting ordinary citizens...you are starting to sound like a terrorist supporter again here maz...Not a good jacket to wear

Carlton

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Jihad is struggle ...struggle from evil...it is self-defense and has nothing to do warring like a mad man

jihad is a holy struggle, no self defence involved. if you have read you book properly, it means to enlighten people peacefully, who do not listen. hence the "struggle" if they do not listen, leave them in peace.

78,866Threads
2,185,224Messages
4,953Members
Back