Interesting read on the oil 'crisis' (its long)

Users who are viewing this thread

SNlPA

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
2001_Saleen said:
There are billions upon billions of barrels of oil underneath Siberia, why we don't drill there, or make the ruskies do it is beyond me (other than the huge origional cost to the russians) I read in some news magazine that there is equal or more oil under siberia than the middle east. Whatever, yay nuclear power!!! :banana :rock

Yea...I think there is plenty of oil in this world. It is just a big ploy to make some peeps in high places rich..very very rich!! Ohio taxes it like 40 something cents a gallon....they could kill the tax and give us Mustang drivers some relief, but they won't. It's all about the Benjamins IMHO.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

OUZBnd

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
SNlPA said:
2001_Saleen said:
There are billions upon billions of barrels of oil underneath Siberia, why we don't drill there, or make the ruskies do it is beyond me (other than the huge origional cost to the russians) I read in some news magazine that there is equal or more oil under siberia than the middle east. Whatever, yay nuclear power!!! :banana :rock

Yea...I think there is plenty of oil in this world. It is just a big ploy to make some peeps in high places rich..very very rich!! Ohio taxes it like 40 something cents a gallon....they could kill the tax and give us Mustang drivers some relief, but they won't. It's all about the Benjamins IMHO.

no they couldn't couldn't kill the taxes. You don't understand the massive repercussions if they took the oil tax off... say goodbye to the highway system

StangTang

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
exactly most of the taxes do go to building roads and highways. plus who gives a fuck about 40 cents when we are being raped for $2.40 for premium nowadays good lord. i already had plans to buy a motorcycle before i read this. sounds like it was a smart choice. i bet the gas hits $3 a gallon and doesnt ever go back down below $2.50. this blows. when i was 16(only 5 years ago) i remember gas being $1.02 a gallon. ah yea those were the days. :rock

artisan00

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i read in a paper this morning that some goldman sachs analysts predict prices to jump to 105$ a barrel. they also predict gas prices reaching 4$ a gallon. ah well, at least mustangs make nice lawn ornaments

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
damnit i just got me mustang, now its gonna be a museum piece of art due to the damn gas prices...

the nuke reactors... sounds like fun... then we getty the big mechwarrior machines and then we fight, and then to protect humanity, we launch exactly 1 billion nukes at the center of the earth and blow ourselves into unknown history... :wtf :wtf

um, i think that we will be visiting other planets soon... like mars... and we will have geothermicalsynchronus um ummmm there we go, solar panel satalites that will beem invisible energy to stations that will power our homes n stuff, so that we can still have our 460 big block v8 engines creating greenhouse gases on mars so that we wont have to live underground all the time, and umm :blah :blah

i want my mustang working now....

Vfast

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
we could produce more oil here but we have lazy,profit happy oil companies...canada is sitting on billions of crude..yes it's harder to refine but nevertheless is these and you don't need a ship on put up with those rag head.....the oil companies have been padding the automakers pockets for years.....wouldn't you think they would be screaming at gas price because there will be a decline in the big profit SUV's....law makers have already started crying over the better than expected sales of hybred cars with the less tax money they are getting.... they don't want us to conserve....hell we need atleast 2-3 more refineries built why should they when their making a killing...I say in the next few years russia will be selling millions of barrel a day.....why don't we buy all of mexicos oil???

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
OUZBnd said:
SNlPA said:
2001_Saleen said:

no they couldn't couldn't kill the taxes. You don't understand the massive repercussions if they took the oil tax off... say goodbye to the highway system

If all of the states actually used the tax revenue from gas sales for research and road building then we would have the best road ways on the planet. But we all know that dosent happen. T

Also, since I'm :blah :blah ing, whatever happend to the new fuel efficient engines that run on Methane and other Proplyne gases.
Well my cousion works for a National airport in D.C. The airport just got new buses that run with Hybrid engines. From Germanay

OUZBnd

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Blackwater_GT said:
OUZBnd said:
SNlPA said:
2001_Saleen said:

If all of the states actually used the tax revenue from gas sales for research and road building then we would have the best road ways on the planet. But we all know that dosent happen. T

Also, since I'm :blah :blah ing, whatever happend to the new fuel efficient engines that run on Methane and other Proplyne gases.
Well my cousion works for a National airport in D.C. The airport just got new buses that run with Hybrid engines. From Germanay

do you have any idea how much it cost for roadway maintence and building new roads?

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It cost Virginia Tax payers 1.2 billion in 2004 for road maintenance and construction. This dosent include the Bonds that were taken out for road constuction that will have to be paid off by 2010 and 2015.

The sales tax here is .17 cents per gallon. One of the lowest in the country. An accounting firm reported that only 68% of the annual sales tax for gas was used for road maintenance and construction. The rest was used for other purposes.

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
fuck china and its overpopulated, heavily militaristic, and communist society. those damn bastards will ruin it for all of us :fu

IntruderLS1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
SNlPA said:

Wouldn't work, for the same reason Communism didn't work. Natural human greed. If the state lifted the fuel tax, the gas station would lower the price by like 10 cents. Prices in this economy are set by the consumers willingness to buy. Prices will continue to go up until we decide as a whole that enough is enough, and alternatives are found. The gas tax doesn't tax us at all. It's actually taxing the gas companies.

IntruderLS1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Okay, I’ve finally read the entire article. As smart as this guy is, and as “well thought out” his theories are…… He’s a total moron. Chicken little comes to mind.

Cliff notes for those without the time to read all that:

Oil is running out. The oil based economies of the world will collapse under their own weight in the next 20 years. All forms of alternative fuels are worthless in comparison to oil, and they will never be enough to keep us going. We will revert back to the late 18th century of lifestyle. Suburbia will disappear, the south will become engaged in a new civil war, Nevada and Arizona will be ghost towns, and Southern California will pay for it’s lavish lifestyle.

Okay, on to why he’s a moron. He brings up the alternate fuel sources one by one, and tells us how inadequate they all are in comparison to oil. And he is correct. But why does only one system have to keep us afloat? We can use them all at the same time. Hundreds of alternative methods are already here. Every home in America will be equipped with solar panels. Every building will have solar panels and wind turbine generation (like the new building they are building on the Twin Tower sight). Right there you have enough power to keep the information super highway open to everybody. (I can go deeper into how important that is, but that’s for a different discussion).

He states very mater of factly that the farming community will be grossly out of its means to produce enough food for everybody in America. WTF?? Even with the TOTAL loss of all oil products, farming would not collapse. It’s been around for centuries, and even if more has to be done by hand, it can be.

Our road systems will collapse in a matter of a few years: Very interesting thought, but again…. Moronic. There will just be a new tax for the streets. It can even be called a “road tax.” Imagine that.

Nuclear power is not a viable option because of the scale they would have to be produced: Well, that’s not true if every habitat in America could produce over half of it’s own energy supply.

New hydroelectric facilities can be erected in a matter of a few short years. Automobiles are already running off several different fuel sources. Hydrogen can be produced at the nuclear power facilities. Solar power can help further augment the hybrid car technology. Bio lubrications are already developed, and can step in to fill the holes a lack of oil could create.

And I could go on for hours. This guy is going for a gut reaction “let’s see how many people I can scare” paper. The oil resources of the world are not going to disappear overnight as he suggests. They will slow down over a few decades. And look how far mankind can move in a few decades. Most of our parents remember a time when walking on the moon was a silly story based totally outside of reality. Our grandparents saw the first jets, color TV’s, microwaves, X-ray machines, etc etc etc……

It’s true that America is largely dependent on oil, but we’re also in the best position of the advanced nations to deal with its loss. Life will change as it always does, but nothing coming close to the chaos this guy is talking about.

I tried to keep it short, but there was just too much. Sorry. :bla

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back