I won a book :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I entered a competition on a website to win one of 50 copies of The Paris Wife. They always do book giveaways as part of a book club on the website's forum and I've never been lucky enough to win any of the books before. I didn't get an email confirming I'd won, so I wasn't expecting it to arrive this morning :D

I'm really happy. I must have miss typed my email address.

9781844086689.jpg

Set during a remarkable time, the same period as Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast and The Sun Also Rises, Paula McLain's The Paris Wife brilliantly captures the voice and heart of Hadley Hemingway as she struggles with her roles as a woman—wife, lover, muse, friend, and mother—and tries to find her place in the intoxicating and tumultuous world of Paris in the twenties.

"This absorbing, illuminating book gives us an intimate view of a sympathetic and perceptive woman, the striving writer she married, the glittering and wounding Paris circle they were part of, and the challenges of trying to preserve love and domesticity in the face of rising celebrity and ruthless ambition."
Seattle Times

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I finished it this afternoon. It was really good. In a couple places it was a little bit slow but the writing style was good so it balanced it out.

Might see if there is anything by Hemmingway in the library.

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I won another book, it was delivered this morning.

luckybreak.jpg

It is their first day at Drama Arts, and the nervous students huddled in a circle are told in no uncertain terms that here, unlike at any other drama school, they will be taught to Act. To Be. To exist in their own world on the stage. But outside is the real world-a pitiless, alluring place in which each of them in their most fervent dreams hopes to flourish and excel.

Nell, insecure and dumpy, wonders if she will ever be cast as anything other than the maid. She'll never compete, she knows, with the multitude of confident, long-legged beauties thronging the profession- most notably Charlie, whose effortless ascendance is nothing less than she expects. Meanwhile, Dan, ambitious and serious, has his sights fixed on the role of Hamlet, as well as on fiery, rebellious Jemma.
Over the following decade, these young actors grapple with haphazard tours, illogical auditions, unobtainable agents, deluxe trailers, rocky relationships, and red-carpet premieres. This dazzling new novel from Esther Freud uncovers a world of ruthless ambition, uncertain alliances, and the many-sided holy grail of Success.

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I enter tons every month, mainly from various book publishers. Infact as soon as it is the 1st I go on about 10 websites and enter all the brand new competitions *blushes*

I also have emails from many book publishers which sometiems link to competitions not on the main sites.

acctnt shan

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Goodreads? I won a free book there before - unfortunately it was so slow I ended up giving up on it after about 100 pages and passed it on to my mother, LOL. But I love that site.

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
No I got mine from mumsnet. They do a book of the month and then invite the author in to answer questions.

I love goodreads. Never yet won a book from there.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back