I need a new fantasy series to read

Users who are viewing this thread

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I just finished Book 12 of the Wheel of Time, and I'm realizing that I really need to find a new fantasy series to get into. I'm a huge LotR nerd, and have read those books more times than I can count, I also have enjoyed the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, the Harry Potter series, all of the Warcraft/WoW books, and basically anything by Stephen Lawhead. Those are my fantasy interests...I tried getting into the Shannara books and was really bored by them.

Any suggestions?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

satinbutterfly

Miss Piggy
Reaction score
Tokenz
169.23z
Robin Hobb's Farseer, Liveship Traders and Tawny Man Trilogy is excellent.
Anything by R.A. Salvatore... but I recommend starting with the Dark Elf Trilogy.
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I ended up finding Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series on sale last night at Borders, so I picked that up. He's the guy that is finishing writing The Wheel of Time, and I liked how he wrote book 12 so I figured I'd give him a shot. After I finish with those, I think I'll move on to the Sword of Truth, as I've had a lot of people recommend that series (here and elsewhere).

Jessica

Reaction score
Tokenz
221.76z
Hmmm I guess you won't like Twilight or Vampire Diaries.

You should try Raising Dragons. The author is Bryan Davis.

katnis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
:nod: I second this suggestion. There are 11 books in the series and it's well worth the read.

+1

And also Hunger games by suzanne collins: not really fantasy novels but It's interesting very creative the only thing that you may not like is that there is no "magic" in it, but there is a lot of action, and interesting subjet too

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Terry Pratchett - The Discworld series. There's about 30 odd or more of them so should keep you going for a while. Easily the best fantasy fiction after Tolkien. Think Tolkien on speed crossed with Monty Python. Brilliant stuff! :thumbup

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I thought of another few writers - but some of them are middle school level but still fun

Alexander Lloyd
Tamara Peirce
Phillip Pullman's Ruby in the Smoke stuff.

Artemis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
His Dark Materials series (The Golden Compass)
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Both are young adult, but they're still exceptional. I loved both of them.

Kat

Heart & Soul
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Im gonna say Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is def. your best bet... but Kushiel's Legacy by Jaqueline Carey is a good series...also The Half Blood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey is a good too

Last edited by a moderator:

satinbutterfly

Miss Piggy
Reaction score
Tokenz
169.23z
A few more:

The Dark Jewel Trilogy by Anne Bishop
The Bridge of D'arnath series by Carol Berg
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Rhapsody Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon

78,866Threads