How do you guys find good books to read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I thought Deception Point by Dan Brown was alright, though I don't think I will ever be a Dan Brown fan. A really easy quick read.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yeah I love Goodreads. It's added loads to my wishlist on amazon/book people and whenever I buy or get a book out the library, I check what goodreads reviews has to say about it. The reviews on there are heaps better than on Amazon.

Yea, considering every book on Amazon has a 3+ star rating. :rolleyes:

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Or tons of 1 star ratings because their book failed to turn up or was late. But they liked the book loads with it finally arrived :p

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Deception Point was probably my least favorite. Still good though. I love Dan Brown =]

I've only read two Dan Brown books. Deception Point and Da Vinci Code. I keeping seeing his books in the library and wondering if I should try another one.

brieze

Maulds' Angel
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I've only read two Dan Brown books. Deception Point and Da Vinci Code. I keeping seeing his books in the library and wondering if I should try another one.

I've read them all lol. Angels & Demons was my first and favorite I'd say. You should try it IMO, but I'm biased :p

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Generally, the books I like are fairly modern, 20th century, written with irony and humour, but also a deft style. The author should be able to infer limitless amounts, through limited words.

acctnt shan

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I also love goodreads! I joined it for a book club, and ended up never following the book club, haha. But I still use it to keep track of my "to-read" list and to see what friends are reading. I've also won a free book on there too, which was pretty neat.

I still use Amazon a lot, because I really love Amazon's wishlist feature.

Ryder

Mod hopeful
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If a book sounds good in the Kindle Free Store I'll get it. Currently reading a book called The House of Five Dragons, good book.

acctnt shan

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ya, if someone has read a GOOD free book, do share. I find that most free books are riddled with grammatical errors/typos (drives me nuts), or the plot/dialogue/character development just isn't that good. With the exception being that you can get most classics for free.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ya, if someone has read a GOOD free book, do share. I find that most free books are riddled with grammatical errors/typos (drives me nuts), or the plot/dialogue/character development just isn't that good. With the exception being that you can get most classics for free.

That's the assumption I would make. Ya get what you pay for.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There is a website called Goodreads, where you can find numerous books depending on your favorite genre and author. This is the only website I would go when I look for good books to read. Another option would be that I usually go to my local bookstore, which opens 365 days. It has all sorts of books based on my favorite authors and genres.

Kotro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I usualy take a look at literary awards lists, and pick from there. Many people question the validity of the awards, and while I can't say that a particular winner deserved the price above all others, I can't also say that I ever had a bad experience - a just winner or not, it's still a damn fine book.
Not all lists are alike, though. I usually ignore Nobel laureates, as that list is often more political than literary. But there are some safe bets where I know I'll probably enjoy whatever book I pick, such as the Man Booker Prize, the National Book Award, the Pris Goncourt. If I want a particular genre, I go for genre awards, such as the Hugo and Nebula Awards for Science Fiction, the Agathe Christie award for crime, or the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I mostly come up with a topic that I want to read about, let's say marketing, or novels.

Then I go to Google Books and type the keyword or keywords related to the topic of my interest. Google Books returns a list of related readings, then I began to browse among them and read the snippets until find a book that catches my eye.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
These days, I read books based on the emotions they'll evoke in me. For example if I need a book that will make me laugh, then I'll use a laser-specific search phrase like, "funny books" and Google will find the titles for me after which I can head off to Amazon to make a purchase.

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back