Flu shots

Users who are viewing this thread

MMMMatilde

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
122.72z
You either hate them or dislike them. No one actually likes them, right? I'm very slowly becoming unterrified of needles.

For example in a couple of minutes I'm getting mine. I feel panicked but at least I'm not crying.

That is all. Panic rant over.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,041.46z
Not afraid of needles or anything as I have been in the hospital more times than I can count, but I have never had a flu shot and I only rarely get sick. Although, if I do get sick, I get really sick! Nonetheless, Let your immune system do the job and let it get stronger by letting it fight off the germs it self :D Works wonders for me!

darkcgi

Glorified Maniac
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I don't trust them really.
I have had a few but I'm not making special effort to get one every year
I rarely ever get sick

MMMMatilde

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
122.72z
I have them every year and they say you should only get flu like symptoms after the shot if your immune system is weak or down. My arm still hurts like a mofo. As long as I am not sneezing or fainting as I say I do, life will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
I haven't had a flu job before. I'm a bit dubious about having the flu injected into my arm! Fortunately i haven't had flu for a while, the winter was relatively mild this year in the UK so i didn't even catch a cold. If it really freezes over here then i might give it a go, even though i hate needles :arghh:

MMMMatilde

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
122.72z
I haven't had a flu job before. I'm a bit dubious about having the flu injected into my arm! Fortunately i haven't had flu for a while, the winter was relatively mild this year in the UK so i didn't even catch a cold. If it really freezes over here then i might give it a go, even though i hate needles :arghh:

Flu shots don't inject any live flu virus into you. And if you have side affects they are very minor and last around 2 days (from memory). I would prefer 2 days than 3 weeks.

Matilde.

gata montes

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.32z
Although I neither hate nor dislike them and think that flu shots are a very necessary evil - for those people who are at risk of developing serious complications should they get the flu virus - even though I can't actually have them myself I wouldn't choose to have them either - for the simple reason that having one doesn't guarantee protection against all types of flu.

Which as the flu virus is constantly changing from year to year and you can't be sure that the traditional vaccine chosen for any given year - will be the right one to protect you against the virus circulating in that year - because its just not possible to be able to predict with any certainty - which particular flu virus will predominate in any given year and as the vaccines are manufactured some 6 - 9 months prior to the beginning of the flu season - I'm not altogether confident that having a flu shot would be an effective way of avoiding flu.

However for those of you wishing to have flu shots and perhaps haven't had them before - you will be pleased to know that there are now several ways in which you can receive the flu vaccine - one of which doesn't involve coming into contact with a needle :eek: and is given by way of a nasal spray.

I too would very much agree with what MMMMatilde has already said - in that although some people experience mild side effects which normally last no more than a couple of days - not everyone does and even though flu vaccines are manufactured in several different ways and some contain the flu virus - none will actually give you the flu - as the virus in the vaccine is inactivated and therefore not infectious - but would just add that if you are considering having a flu shot - try and get it done at the beginning of the season rather than leaving it too late - as it takes a good two weeks before you are protected against the flu :)

78,865Threads
2,185,213Messages
4,953Members
Back