Favorite deceased author?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joker99352

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Who is your favorite deceased author? It doesn't have to be someone from a hundred years ago, unless it happens to be anyway. My favorite author is Michael Crichton, who passed away in 2008. It's a bit weird to think about because he was fairly young, but it also doesn't seem like it's been that long since he died. I enjoy plenty of classic authors, too, but I haven't read enough of any one author's books to say that they're my favorite of all time.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

thebodyofjwb

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think most of my favorite authors are deceased... J.R.R. Tolkien, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, and a few more. Mary Shelley gets an honorable mention because Frankenstein is one of my favorite books.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
It has to be Robert E Howard. His fantasy stories were great and even when he delved into writing hilarious stories, he pulled it off. Fine he wrote pulp but fact is what he wrote was good enough for me and often I always re-read his stories.

It's a pity he had to kill himself while still so freaking young.

mintyfish

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Never has a deceased author affected me in the way that David Foster Wallace. Ah DFW, you are the only person that I have never actually met that I truly miss. If you haven't read him yet, I highly suggest reading some of his short non-fiction; his prose is ridiculously beautiful.
I also really love the late Kurt Vonnegut. Such a talent with black humor.

I've never been big on classics which is probably why most of my favorite, deceased authors seem to have died in the last 10 years or so.

MindyT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have too many of them, I think. I love the classics like Little Women by Alcott and The Secret Garden (oh my goodness, her name is lost in my brain. It starts with a B). I love Shakespeare too.

Joker99352

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I tend to think of authors who have died in my lifetime, like Ray Bradbury. Fortunately, Bradbury was pretty old when he went, whereas a lot of authors have died very young. I've enjoyed the Bronte sisters' books (although I wouldn't necessarily call them my favorite authors), and they all died very young. I was sad to hear about Tom Clancy passing, though I was more familiar with his line of video games (which are excellent) than his books.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I would say William Shakespeare, which is one of my deceased author who wrote a lot of plays and tragedy stories. In fact, he is one of my favorite authors for classic stories such as "Twelfth Night" and "Romeo and Juliet". Those are good stories right there!

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back