Effi Briest (by Theodor Fontane) - Has anyone read it?

Users who are viewing this thread

StripedCat

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Effi Briest is a German classic, I am currently writing my bachelor thesis about. Has anyone here read it? And if yes, what did you think about it? I am at first interested in how you understood the characters, especially Effi, Effis mother and Innstetten (most misunderstood figure ever, in my opinion :)).

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Schnaufi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Effi Briest is a German classic, I am currently writing my bachelor thesis about. Has anyone here read it? And if yes, what did you think about it? I am at first interested in how you understood the characters, especially Effi, Effis mother and Innstetten (most misunderstood figure ever, in my opinion :)).

Hey my Dear,

I have read that novel and I do really appreciate it. :clap

Why do you think that Instetten is misinterpreted?

It is certainly an interesting novel to write a thesis about. :rockon:

Best wishes,

Schnaufi

StripedCat

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Why do you think that Instetten is misinterpreted?

In almost every interpretation (and even in almost every movie), Innstetten is seen as some cold-hearted man who marries Effi out of wrong reasons and then destroys her, while Effi turns out to be the lovely, the wonderful..yadda yadda..
And somehow almost everyone ignores that Effi has a lot of bad habits herself, while Innstetten (even though he'll never be a Latin Lover :D) is really lovely with her.

Even Fontane was wondering in many of his letters, that people understood Effi as "poor Effi" and Innstetten as "crock".

I find that so weird and wonder whenever I stumble across such interpretations. Either I am weird or people are. oO

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back