Do you still visit gaming arcades?

Users who are viewing this thread

SS42A

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
During my high school years, I used to frequently visit these gaming arcades. At that time, their library of games included Fatal Fury, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Art of Fighting, Virtua Fighter, and other arcade hits which by now are playable under the MAME, or the arcade emulator. Also, these arcades have been frequently visited by school children even during the entire school week as well as out-of-school youth. Because of the influx of young visitors coming from various schools, these arcades during my time have been flourishing, as the income these facilities receive come from students. Nowadays, these arcades are not that full of people anymore, given the rise of next generation consoles which have taken a huge chunk of the income received by these arcades.

Do you still visit these gaming arcades, and how would you compare the arcades then and now?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

WubbyDoge

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't, simply because there's none nearby. Makes me sad as hell, wish there were some and that they had current fighting games. I would always go there for some good competition.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I stopped going to the game arcades when I bought my first PC. There is no reason for a gamer to go to an arcade this day's because you probably have internet and a better computer at home.

rossonomous

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Unfortunately the gaming arcade that use to be near me shut down. It was getting really poor business and could not afford to stay open. Sad times!

One Direction

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
I do. Even though I have the current gen consoles that are ready for action at my living room, I still go to the arcades just to have some good clean fun with my friends or my girl whenever we are hanging out at the mall. We would try to shoot some hoops, play racing games, try out some shooting games like Time Crisis, make a fool out of ourselves at Dance Revo, and play some Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (even if I have this game on the PS3). It's still fun but it's no longer like before.

BaltimoreJay

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There is only one place left near me that has an arcade. It's a restaurant that has a liquor license. Off to the side they have a whole room full of arcade machines and pinball machines. I go once or twice a month to drink some beers and play some pinball, I usually skip the videogames though.

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
I remember those days, i used to play X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and king of fighters. Today though i rarely go unless i'm out and looking to kill some time. I play those games which you can't play at home i.e. shooting games with a big screen and machine gun, or the ones on a life size motorbike.

WilliamRSIM

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
When I go on vacation, I make sure to go to the arcades inside of all of the hotels. It brings back a past time thing for me and I truly do enjoy doing it. In some arcades, the games are even updated opposed to the regular ones like Pacman and the corny driving game. These are in more modern places though.

amy005

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
With all the gaming consoles out there to bring home I didn't realize gaming arcades even really existed anymore.. I think it would be fun to go to one but I haven't seen one anywhere around her for years. I do play x-box once in a while though.

BleedingBull

Banned, by user's request!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Its strange seeing businesses that were always around, disapear cos of the internet, cd/music shops are rare as well now, even dvd stores arent as busy. Everything is accessible online. Great for the average Joe but sad in the big picture how many jobs are lost cos of technology.

MikeyPaine

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There is one arcade near me. It's not strictly an arcade, it's mostly a restaurant, but they have a whole room filled with arcade games. I've only been once, and some of the games were kind of beat up, but most of the games look great. The restaurant is supposedly pretty bad, we didn't eat anything.

Kotro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I haven't been to an arcade in years, and come to think of it, I don't think there are any left open in my town. I reckon it's a dying business, killed by the home videogame industry (which is also becoming increasingly portable once more). I don't expect a resurrection any time soon.

ddrmario123

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I would totally go visit an arcade, sadly there isn't one around me. It seems like a lot of them are closed down now which makes me sad :(.

Econox

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The only nearby Arcades are those attached to the Cineplex, which I rarely go to.

I like the games they have at Dave And Buster's, but there's none close by so it's rare if I go.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I still go to the arcade whenever I visit malls that have them and play Drum Mania and Guitar Freaks. I like to show off my skills to the public. :smuggrin: Dance and musical instrument games tend to attract the passers-by, which is why the game machines of these games are usually placed in front of the arcade.

Scottf13

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The last arcade died in my area years ago. I was sad. A real arcade with excellent games, and a few things you just can't do at home would be great. The problem is that gaming at home is simpler, and far less expensive in the long run. The games at the arcades became so much more expensive over time. At the one near my home it was as much as $1.50 to play some games, and they wanted $.50 to $1 to continue! You could spend more money in ten minutes playing one game that you spend buying a Nextgen game!

They priced themselves right out of business.

Drago

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
Nope, unfortunately. I haven't visited one in a very long time. Shame though, they can be such fun places for friends to hang out.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back