0.04z
ORIGINAL RESEARCH
Communicating sexual health messages: young adults and the female condom

Authors Markham Shaw C, Chatterjee K

Published Date June 2014 Volume 2014:5 Pages 29—37

DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/OAJC.S64160

Received 16 March 2014, Accepted 16 April 2014, Published 30 June 2014

Charla Markham Shaw, Karishma Chatterjee

Department of Communication, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, USA

Purpose: This study examined how young adult college men and women (18 to 24 years of age) viewed the female condom, in terms of its viability as a technology to be used for protection against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unplanned pregnancies.
Patients and methods: Information sessions led by same-sex peer educators were conducted with 55 male and 94 female participants in same-sex, small groups, followed by completion of anonymous online surveys, during Spring 2013, at a large public university in the southwestern United States.
Results: Using a grounded theory approach, the core characteristics of the FC2® female condom found to be important to the female participants were its design, lack of side effects, protection, and convenience; the male participants focused on the protection and design elements.
Conclusion: Message-design implications for health promotion initiatives and practical implications for health practitioners were discussed.

Keywords: diffusion of innovation, STI prevention, pregnancy prevention, contraception

more here...https://www.dovepress.com/communica...d-the-female-condo-peer-reviewed-article-OAJC

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

juliaintheclouds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I think they're a good option for women to have if their partner doesn't want to wear a condom but I never see these for sale anywhere. I don't think they sell them at any of the local drugstores where I live and I'm in a big city. I think if someone wanted to use them they might have to be ordered on the internet.

78,865Threads
2,185,213Messages
4,953Members
Back