Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

Demonicpixie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I know that I do. There are many times when I'm browsing in Borders (well...before they closed the Borders here that is) and I'll pick up a book simply based on it's appearance.

Then, many times, I read the description on the back and promptly abandon the book.

Has anyone found any rare treasures by simply grabbing a book that caught your eye?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

jassilem

Peek-a-Boo
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I do it too..

And most times I read what it's about and go.. now I know why the cover is eye catching LOL...

I have once and awhile but nothing comes to mind at the moment...

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I get my books based on:
Recommendations
Because I've seen a review of it/the author is famous
From what the cover looks like. If the cover doesn't interest me then I decide there is no point picking it up to read the blurb.
How fat a book is (I like my books the size and weight of a brick).

I recently read A Handful Of Dust. It was part of a book sale but I only picked it up because it was a Penguin Modern Classic and would look nice on the bookcase. Turns out, it's a great book and I really did enjoy reading it!
I read Memoirs of a Geisha because I liked the picture on the front and turns out the book is good too.

It didn't work with a history book called Witchfinders. The cover looked good and I thought the subject matter would be good based on the blurb (it's about the 17th century English witch trials), but it turns out the book is terrible. The blurb and title doesn't even really describe what the book is about as it goes off talking about other crap. And it's badly written too - just a bland monologue and the author manages to strip all humanity from all the people until they resmble robots.
How the author managed to make such an interesting subject area so bloody boring is beyond me. I could not finish it. I managed to get half way and lost the will to live so gave up.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I've got to admit the title of Russel Brands book - My booky wook - seriosly put me off but then I find Russel Brand an unfunny cunt as well so that probably had a lot to do with it too.

Demonicpixie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I've bought a few based on the cover. I also bought one simply because the Author shared my name. However, I got those at a library sale where you filled up a whole basket for a donation so either way I feel the purchase was worth it.

I have yet to read those, my preferred list is still so long that they keep getting pushed aside.

36gamer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yes. What, am I supposed to read the back of every single book in the bookstore? Sometimes it's the name that draws my attention, and other times it's the cover. But I need my attention to be drawn or else I'll ignore the book and look at the next one on the shelf. I like the cover to look kind of cool but not over the top. Sometimes I'll just pick up a random book because I just feel it calling my name, even if it doesn't seem interesting.

HK

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
All the time. I avoided Terry Pratchett for years because the cover illustrations put me off. Total mistake, he's one of my favourite authors now :p

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,377.70z
There have been many times that a cover has caught my attention and, once I read the description, I decide not to bother w/ it. I need to make a resolution to take more time out to read. I've gotten away from it, and it's a damn shame b/c I love to read.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,392.55z
I often judge people on my initial reaction. Amazing how often my first read is dead on.

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If I do, I've never noticed it. I mean, obviously something has to be eye catching, but it's usually the title. I walk the aisles with my head turned sideways reading all the names.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back