Disadvantages of too much reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

brezzy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.41z
Alright, as readers, we can absolutely enumerate a lot of advantages of reading, but let us try to give a look on the other side of it, can you name some of disadvantages of too much reading?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

SS42A

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Reading too much will eventually lead to nearsightedness, especially if you have two nearsighted parents. Add to that the decreased physical activity which will require you to wear glasses. And I tell you, wearing eyeglasses is NEVER an indication of being a genius, but it is a handicap and a liability as you will read less and less. In addition, your nearsightedness will have an adverse effect on finding employment in the future. I myself have already experienced nearsightedness prior to undergoing eye surgery, thus I know from experience that nearsightedness is a curse.

isabbbela

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I read a lot (and I mean A LOT), and to me the only downside is I get really tired, my eyes hurt and I have headaches when I read way too much. But as I have been very used to reading for a long time that only happens when I spend several hours nonstop reading.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There are some disadvantages of too much reading. For instance, when people spend a lot of time reading books, they eyesight will become myopic, which is another word nearsightedness. Second, people who spend a lot of time reading books will cause them more likely to be antisocial, which is one of the biggest issues for some people. Last, I would think too much reading will cause behavioral and mental problem, which cause some people to easily forget things and don't really care about what's going on in their surroundings.

SpiralArchitect

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I guess I am lucky then because I have been reading a lot for close to 18-19 odd years now and my eyes are still perfect 6/6.

You can say that occasionally one can get so lost in the fictional world that they ignore what's happening in real life. I have been guilty of missing school as a kid because I was up all night reading. :)

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
I used to read a lot before I learnt to use computers. Now i hardly get time to read books or newspapers.
reading books is more relaxing than the internet: you can kiss and hug a book whenever you like; you can rest the book on your chest; you can scribble tattoo's upon it; you can hit someone with the books; you can climb up the books to fix a fused bulb; you can steal pages from books; you can turn books into hiding places for bills; you can discard books and recycle them for further use; you don't need electricity to open up and read books (maybe you need light at night yet you can read them under the lamp post or under the candle light; you can gift books and try to pursuade others to read them ;
you don't need a wire tailed to the book; reading good books absorb your attention and help to take you out of depression; reading books gives you knowledge; reading old books gives you new ideas while reading new books give you old ideas; and so on.

Books are best friends and you don't have to leave them back in the room to go to wash room to read while you shagged.
the only drawback with books is that they have become very expensive to buy and read.
Most books become redundant and cannot be read again.
Reading books is a joy but stacking and dusting them in small place is pain in the arse.
Reading books is like reading the heart of your beloved who wants to be laid.;)
so much for now.....

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back