Chauvet Caves - Where Art Began.

Users who are viewing this thread

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
The Chauvet caves contain sketches around 20,000 years old, and they are BEAUTIFUL - not just scratches in stone. There's shading, movement, depth and character to the sketchings.

These caves are in France - there's a whole chain of such caves in the south of France. The one featured in the film "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" is one of the most spectacular. I'm sure you've heard of the Lasceaux Caves.

When I was in the south of France, we got to see one of these caves. It was a minor one, but still, there was sketchings in there thousands of years old and it was beautiful but eery at the same time.

Say what you want about science, literature, music, etc. being important to society, but ART was here from the beginning. Amazing to think about, and extremely flattering to the portion of the human race that devotes any portion of their lives to further the arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFP5HfJPTY

Last edited by a moderator:
    Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I was thinking of digging up my photos from the caves I went to - they were nothing like these, but still awesome.

Back when everything was shot on film...if only I had gone to Europe with digital :)

Doesn't it make yall question when people say art is not important?

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
you can't go to this major one, but if you do it on the hush hush and speak some French to some old men they will take you in similar caves...and no that's not code for anything perverse!!!

our guides were tiny shriveled old men who had a flashlight each and used a stick they found on the ground outside the cave as a pointer. they kept hitting the translator's eyes with either the stick or the flashlight LOL

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
I was thinking of digging up my photos from the caves I went to - they were nothing like these, but still awesome.Back when everything was shot on film...if only I had gone to Europe with digital :)

Doesn't it make yall question when people say art is not important?

do it!!!

have you seen the film because i should be getting a copy by the weekend

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back