Bowler's thread

Users who are viewing this thread

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
At the 1/3 point in the season my team is in 5th place out of 24 teams. Last night was not a good night for our team we dropped 6 of 8 points. I bowled good two out of three games. 200-165-203.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

pjbleek

Reaction score
Tokenz
795.15z
wish there was a league around here...the nearest lanes near us is 25 miles away. although I do remember leaving them my name and number when new leagues were to be starting...maybe I'll go over today to see what happened....

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
I was high total pins on my team last night. Some weeks I'm on and some weeks not so much. You might be too late to join a league but volunteering to sub might get you in.

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Wow... I"m jealous. My peak the other night was 77. My dad bowled in a league. I think it's kinda neat actually (super boring on tv tho) and it's A LOT harder than it looks!

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
sometimes its like an old boys network to get on a team...

Locally there are leagues 5 nights a week plus a couple of daytime senior leagues. Some nights are mixed leagues where every team must have at least one woman on them and all leagues are handicapped except one scratch league. I assume most bowling houses are similar. My first league experience I got recruited because a guy watched me bowling with my family & approached me to join his team. That was over 20 years ago. I have only been back league bowling about 4 years now. My son and I bowled for three years in a generation gap league and placed in the top 3 all three years.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
We have been in a slump and slid to 10th place. I had a better than average night...171-232-235

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I used to bowl in a teen league at my local bowling alley. We came in first place one year, third place another, and towards the end of the ranks the last few years. I wasn't the greatest bowler, on average I bowled a 140 or so each game. However, as a team, we were reasonably good. The handicaps killed us though, some teams would start out a few hundred points ahead of us each game.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
I used to bowl in a teen league at my local bowling alley. We came in first place one year, third place another, and towards the end of the ranks the last few years. I wasn't the greatest bowler, on average I bowled a 140 or so each game. However, as a team, we were reasonably good. The handicaps killed us though, some teams would start out a few hundred points ahead of us each game.

Nothing like giving up a huge amount of handicap pins and have someone bowl the games of their life against you. When my son and I bowled in a two member team in a Generation Gap league. We bowled against a woman whose average was like 117. She rolled her first scratch 200+ and a 170+ against us. With her handicap her pin total for the three games was over 700 pins.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Nothing like giving up a huge amount of handicap pins and have someone bowl the games of their life against you. When my son and I bowled in a two member team in a Generation Gap league. We bowled against a woman whose average was like 117. She rolled her first scratch 200+ and a 170+ against us. With her handicap her pin total for the three games was over 700 pins.

Yep, that would always be our luck and honestly, it was frustrating. I remember we once bowled against a team of girls who each had an average of less than 100. We started out around 200 pins behind and a few of the girls just happened to bowl their best games yet! We were a bit frustrated, but took it in stride. After all was done, one of the girls said " You guys reacted well to our win, the last team we bowled was mad at us." Oh geez, I wonder why. Honestly, I understand the purpose of handicaps, to level the playing field. However, the calculated handicap is based on averages, so it's a bit unfair when the other team bowls exceptionally well while the scales were tipped against you to begin with.

SouthOfHeaven

Dexxx's Wet Dream
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i used to bowl in highschool.. i was the handicap.. ( i was sooo bad) BUT that handicap got me to place the coca cola state tournament and i got to go to vegas for the national .. where i bombed.. but it was fun :D

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
One of my best night's ever last night.

213-266-202
That included 8 strikes in the first game and 10 strikes in the second game.
22 strikes in three games.

Burntblood

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Man, I miss bowling. Maybe I'll take my daughter sometime soon.
I know I can beat her because she sucks.
I'm a decent bowler for just your average Joe but I have no finesse. I mean I can't curve the ball or anything.
My method is simple. Grab the biggest balll possible and throw it as hard as you can straight down the middle.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,311.37z
I just noticed the team averages and after 16 weeks and 48 games there is 1 pin difference between me and our team anchor.

78,864Threads
2,185,189Messages
4,953Members
Back