Books you hate that are always praised?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
For me, it's Lolita. It is always praised on book forums and most of my friends adore it.

Personally, I found it a terrible book and forced myself to the end hating every moment of it.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

HK

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
I could never stand anything by Charles Dickens. My mum tried to encourage me to read more classics when I was young, and they came up at school as well, but I always hated them.

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I hated Dickens when I was younger but then I read a couple last year (Great Expectations and Oliver Twist) and was surprised that I really enjoyed them.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
the famous five series by enid blyton
ransomne's swallows and amazons

i detest the imagery of middle class bliss in post war britain, rosy cheeked kids with not a care in the world romping through the rolling hills solving crime and surviving with naught more than a scraped knee

meanwhile, back in the real world - teenage pregnancy, squalor in the inner cities, lice, sadistic bullying from teachers

i could go on

Kakapo Dundee

Reaction score
Tokenz
644.22z
And Timmy said to Sophie,"Gosh, aren't those Canadians rude?"
Sophie smiled and replied "Daddy says it's because they're Colonials."
"Crikey!" Said Timmy. "Like those filthy Antipodeans?"
Sophie grinned."Exactly Timmy.You're so clever."

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
And Timmy said to Sophie,"Gosh, aren't those Canadians rude?"
Sophie smiled and replied "Daddy says it's because they're Colonials."
"Crikey!" Said Timmy. "Like those filthy Antipodeans?"
Sophie grinned."Exactly Timmy.You're so clever."
rep due for that - exactly - you know what i mean

lashings of whipped cream my arse

satinbutterfly

Miss Piggy
Reaction score
Tokenz
169.23z
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - I couldn't make it past the first five chapters. I was bored to tears.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant - I only made it halfway through. It just really wasn't interesting for me in the least.

Maulds

Accidental Bastard
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
OK not specifically books but Stephen King in general. Go ahead and crucify me but the first time I bothered to read his work it was The Langoliers and after that I just avoided him.

Schnaufi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I cannot really answer that question as I do really like most of the above-mentioned masterpieces and authors. :) Dickens, Bronte sisters, Nabokov, Stephen King and so forth. I am a student of literary studies. ;p Perhaps that's why I reveal a different approach to most of the books. I am going to be examined in one of Dickens' novels, for instance. :p

pjbleek

Reaction score
Tokenz
795.15z
am thinking that some of the books I read for high school/college were personal choices from the professor/teacher but reading other choices that they thought were better than most: for example I liked 1984 but wasn't a fan of Animal Farm.

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I love the Brontes (read all of their novels except The Professor by Charlotte B. The only one I didn't enjoy much was Shirley, I adored Jane Eyre and Villette so I had high expectations for Shirley and it didn't live up to it) and King. Lolita just didn't do it for me.

I have another Nabokov novel, Mary, in my to-be-read pile. I'll see what I think of it. Perhaps the author's writing style just isn't for me or perhaps it was just the subject matter of Lolita that put me off.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think Twilight is the book I dislike but have always been praised by a lot of readers. I got bored when I read the first page of the first chapter. However, I like the movie though, which is strange to me because I don't usually watch the movie before I read the book.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back