Bearing False Witness: Isn't "False Witness" the VERY BASIS of Christianity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Uncle Doc J

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I'm not saying "the death/resurrection/ascension-story is a lie,' I'm talking about the commandment. And the commandment isn't talking about "telling lies," but about "bearing false witness."

What is "witness" (MOUNCE calls it 'testimony,' translating "pseudomartyreō" into "give false testimony")? Doesn't it involve 'actually having seen the event'?

And--if "only having heard from someone whose testimony you believe (who heard it from some one who heard it from someone who heard it from (etc. until) who heard it from someone who was actually there)" keeps it 'true'--how many repetitions of "hear-say" does it take to make it "false" again?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Greatest I am

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
All priests and imams ever do is lie to the sheeple who are gullible enough to believe them.

This is obvious as all claim that God is unknowable and unfathomable and then they turn around and start rhyming off the reams of what the say they know and fathom of who they said was unknowable and unfathomable.

Regards
DL

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
I understand the distinction you make between committing falsehoods and bearing false witness, as well as the need of seeing an occurrence in order to deliver accurate testimony. The commandment not to bear false witness emphasizes the need of honesty and integrity in court processes and other situations when accurate testimony is required.

relcap23

Reaction score
Tokenz
737.53z
I understand your point, that telling lies shouldn't be equated with bearing false witness. If truth is distorted that is telling a lie and it's a sin.

Greatearner

Reaction score
Tokenz
265.82z
All priests and imams ever do is lie to the sheeple who are gullible enough to believe them.

This is obvious as all claim that God is unknowable and unfathomable and then they turn around and start rhyming off the reams of what the say they know and fathom of who they said was unknowable and unfathomable.

Regards
DL

I am a Muslim and I have never experienced anything like this. In fact, they offer counselling and help to people who are suffering from many social issues and problems in their lives. Many imams also offer free advice and free counselling sessions. Seems like you are an atheist and you have probably visited a person who was pretending to be an imam at your local mosque. You need to change this mindset of yours.

Ammi

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,249.83z
…I always understood ‘bearing false witness’ as stated in the commandments was as being more like engaging in ‘rumours’ or gossip behaviour…not knowing if something is a truth or a misinformation in any way and to whatever extent…but relaying it and escalating it as if it were a truth….as opposed to relating what is known to be a lie….
….that’s what I’ve always believed to be the difference….
….no, I don’t believe that False Witness is the basis of Christianity…as false witness is just something that hasn’t been verified as true…there is no absolute faith that it’s true…the basis of Christianity is surely faith/absolute belief….

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back