Artists and Insanity

Users who are viewing this thread

brezzy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.41z
Artists are commonly associated with insanity. Do you agree with this?

If we would trace our famous artists in all fields, it somehow shows accidentally or not that the majority of our genius artists had this characteristics which normal persons do not have, the weirdness and madness side.

So artists depend yourselves! :)

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Catavenger

Still a newbie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Who defines insanity? What is insanity and what is eccentricity? I don't recall Renaissance artists as being called insane. Perhaps later the artists used paints made from elements that caused insanity?

jcairns82

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
I think there's a disproportionate amount of focus on insanity. Plus there's the foolish notion that one must suffer for their art. There are tons of healthy artists out there. Mental health issues can strike anybody, it just seems more prevalent when it occurs to an artist, as it's heavily reported on.

That said, I'm sure for some performers, it can't be easy pretending to be somebody else all the time. As well, people fall in love with the character and not the actor. This can also cause for some mental confusion.

bmfc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think there's a disproportionate amount of focus on insanity. Plus there's the foolish notion that one must suffer for their art. There are tons of healthy artists out there. Mental health issues can strike anybody, it just seems more prevalent when it occurs to an artist, as it's heavily reported on.

That said, I'm sure for some performers, it can't be easy pretending to be somebody else all the time. As well, people fall in love with the character and not the actor. This can also cause for some mental confusion.

I agree, with you.
I know, many artist, who don't suffer from mental illness. Menal illness come in many forms and people should get help for their problems. It is kind of scarey, when you think, about it. Metal illness can happen to anyone, at any time. Everyone has a braking point.

BWOF

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
This is an interesting question. Why do some artists have a reputation for being "insane" or "crazy"? Well, I believe this is largely a stereotype that began in the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Due to the extremely repressed society at that time, a lot of people who did not conform to societal norms often became artists, poets and writers to allow themselves an outlet to vent their frustrations. Hence the stereotype of the tortured artist.

These sterotypes may not be so relevant nowadays but they are still very much alive in popular imagination.

rebel

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Interesting theory, however not 100% accurate. In some cases artists are very normal people, just like you and me, or at the very least the few I personally know are such. It really depends on the public image they try to create. Some artists might even go as far as to fake insanity just to get their works sold or recognized.

zemmer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yeah, I also think it's a cliche, not particularly based in reality. For every "mad genius" you can find a hundred artists, writers, musicians, poets, etc, that have perfectly normal lives filled with the usual ups and downs.

I think it's true that creating great art has often required a certain amount of working outside people's comfort level, which can be read as bohemian or eccentric, or what-have-you, but even then we are talking about a relatively small subset of artists and as BWOF said, stemming from a certain cultural narrative that isn't quite so relevant anymore.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Maybe the reference should be attributed to those frustrated artists who can't even make a living from their art-work. In such cases it's possible that an artist who's stressed can be pushed over the edge. And it's not just artists who fall into these category. Writers also suffer from insanity [and some commit suicide] if they don't achieve their goals. So well, yes, artists and other creatives are more susceptible to becoming insane. It's wired into their system.

JoanMcWench

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I recently had a discussion that was really similar to this one. The suggestion was that all (musical) artists were a little off. I had a really hard time giving a reasonable argument and that is including the fact that I am an artist myself. However, I wanted to make the suggestion that most people are off regardless of talent or lack thereof. I would assume so many people feel this way because so many people are a bit crazy or eccentric or 'off'.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
i could have told you Vincent
this world was never meant
for someone as beautiful as you

genius is not same not is it insane

it is the narrowmindedness of the mainstream that borders on madness

angelicagapit

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
We can't exactly generalize that all artists are insane, but we do know that all artists think differently than everybody else. Some think in bizarre ways, some think just like regular people. But who is to say what is regular or not?

Here we deal with how the society is make something acceptable and not acceptable again. Everyone has their own opinions, perspectives, and insights on life. Some are different from others, but we wouldn't call that insane.

sidney

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.79z
For me, until it is clinically proven that a person is indeed insane, then they are just eccentric to me. And the arts is a field where being different is a must, it's not like your stale, run -of the-mill field like the medical field, for example. It is a field centered on creativity. So of course they would try to be as unique as possible ala-Lady Gaga.

78,865Threads
2,185,202Messages
4,953Members
Back