Aren't Phones for Talking?

Users who are viewing this thread

pafjlh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.29z
I have to share this story because I still find this funny to this day. One time I was doing a survey and one of the questions that came up was what do you do on your mobile phone. It was multiple choice and the choices were, text, surf the web, take photos, make videos. Those were the choices. My first reaction was to think wait isn't there something missing here? Such as the thing a phone was created for doing, that is talking to people.

I know that in today's world phones are becoming capable of doing so much more. Especially smartphones, its like carrying a mobile computer with you. But for me right now I prefer the standard mobile phone. If I can communicate on it and keep in touch with others when needed I am fine. To tell you how much of a novice I am when it comes to such technology I have never actually learned how to text.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Stratos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.07z
Well, the main purpose of a mobile phone, originally, was to mix together the beeper and telephone. So yes, text was originally one of its intended features and usage. Mobile phones were supposed to be used by older people and working people, but now, when people say "Mobile Phone" they don't actually mean the older phones, but the newer smartphones. Companies never think about people who still use these older phones. Long story short, yeah, they're made for talking and communicating, but there's so many ways to communicate now that choices on what you do with a phone can't be limited to just talking and texting. :smuggrin:

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I took a survey with a similar question myself recently. I was surprised they never mentioned voice calls too. The way we communicate has changed so much over the last 15 years and smartphones allow us to call, text, email, use social media and even make video calls. Voice calling also seems so expensive compared to ther methinds of getting in touch. There are still a few standard phones available, generally aimed at seniors for emergency situations. I wonder what mobile phones will be like when we are old?

sidney

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.79z
Phones used to be very simple, and kids and teens were happy with the usual "Snake" game from your good 'ol Nokia, but now phones must be wi-fi or can read documents to be considered as "useful" for the average adult. I think that we have come a long way when it comes to technology being advanced, and that's a good thing. Communication to your loved ones abroad has now become free too, thanks to Facebook and Viber. Before, you would have to pay high phone bills for that.

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I do not own a smart phone. I go tired of dropping it and breaking on me. I just use a plain nokia phone that has basic functions with texting. The funny part is now that I have it for about 2 years now I don't see the need to update and spend the money doing so.

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I almost never talk on my smartphone (or any phone, I hate phone calls). I text occasionally but mostly I use it for internet searches on the go, games, and reading if I forgot my kindle. I also use it to stream music.

Peachdejour

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That is funny. I personally don't like to talk on the phone. When texting came around, I was in my glory. I only like talking on the phone to people I am close to. This only came about after a stint as an administrative assistant. I spent so much time talking on the phone that I just cannot stand it anymore. I can't believe they left it out in the survey. That is too funny.

cherry123

Reaction score
Tokenz
157.93z
The truth is that the phone is doing so much smart and sophisticated things that the original purpose seems to be lost now

Shortie

Reaction score
Tokenz
334.99z
As much as phones once you to be for talking, they are now used for so much more and can be classed now as mini PCs in our bags or pockets.

It's amazing how we can stay connected and even do things we used to do on our PCs or laptops now even when we are away from home and out and about. I often wonder what technology will be like 10 years from now, it's going to be interesting to see.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back