Advice for a thick haired girl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Demonicpixie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ladies, I need some help. Or men, if you have ideas please share.

My hair is long and very very thick. It's about half way down my back now, and I can barely stand to leave it down because it overpowers my face and sheds over everything. But I enjoy leaving it down because I think it's pretty.

I don't think thinning it would be a good idea, if I don't keep up with it I'll get a fro on top, and I've tried layers and I hated them.

Any suggestions on how I can style this mane other than putting it up in a messy bun?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

jassilem

Peek-a-Boo
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I wish I had ideas for ya...

My hair is super thick too.. and when it's down it ends up annoying me and I put it up into a pony tail....

The only thing that saves me from going nuts when it's down is if I straighten it.. Straightening it keeps it from going frizzy of me for a bit..

Demonicpixie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Hm I've never tried straightening it. I always figured that was for curly haired girls, and while mine is naturally wavy, curly doesn't describe it. Perhaps I could try that. Do you put product in yours? Hair spray...gel? I hate using those, I really don't want to have too.

Thornless

Or am I?
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have thick, curly & wavy hair.

I get long layers, with some thinning, generally cut with razor scissors.

I use Morocan oil; Aveda's be curly prep, lotion, and control. When wearing it down and curly/wavy.

When smoothing or straightening, I use Morocan oil; Aveda smoothing prep, gloss, and smooth finish.

I just cut of 4" of damaged sections I had had repeated bleach on, but when it was long, I usually pinned/braided sections that would be in my face.

Demonicpixie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thanks! I've never tried any of those products but I'm willing to be adventurous...as long as they won't make my hair feel like crisply mulch lol.

jassilem

Peek-a-Boo
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Hm I've never tried straightening it. I always figured that was for curly haired girls, and while mine is naturally wavy, curly doesn't describe it. Perhaps I could try that. Do you put product in yours? Hair spray...gel? I hate using those, I really don't want to have too.
When I straighten my hair I don't use any product.. except for some oil that hairdresser gave me after my last cut... the oil just gives my hair some extra shine.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
I have thick hair that sticks to everything everytime i have a hair cut.... Just shorten it a bit.

KLD1019

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i have very thick coarse hair. notice in my pictures, its shiny and thin/normal looking. all the wonders of a GOOD hair straightener.

i use CHI Keratin mist. stuff works wonders! then i blow dry with a vented brush. i then straighten it (I have a BabyBliss Pro, WAY better than a CHI. plates are titanium and not ceramic AND you control the temp), after i straighten, i use the CHI shin infusion spray. i get told all the time how soft and shiny and non thick my hair is. oh, they have NO idea! its just what i use and what i do to it!

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Not sure if you like the look, but I know if I had long, thick hair, I would be constantly braiding the front sections and pinning them back. I think it looks so pretty. Your hair is down, but out of your face, and it works with any hair texture.

It was kinda hard to find pictures of what I mean though lol.

how-to-get-a-french-braid-along-your-hairline_lah--_0.jpg

Or like this:
http://pinterest.com/pin/180728194/

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I have very thick hair, I can't grow it long because it just grows out like an afro wig. I get round it by shaving it all off but I guess that's not very useful to you. I guess braiding it is the only thing I can think of.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have kinda thick hair, even though it's straight I used to use straighteners on my hair all the time! Would make such a difference! I used product after washing while my hair was still wet. It's meant to stop your hair getting so damaged from the heat. I worked in a greasy place so I'd have to wash my hair every day sometimes twice so I liked using product. It would stop the hair getting dry and brittle from drying/straightening.

Also, I just went and cut my hair. It was shoulder length and I went into a salon and asked them to cut it all, walked out with a pixie cut and love it! And having thick hair actually gives it a lot of texture now which is great!

MsPoppy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
When I was young I had the thick Janis Joplin mane. I still had it in my late forties and had learned to somewhat tame or control it. Other people loved and even envied it, but as some of you know it can feel like a nighmare. I have cut it, shagged it, thinned it, let it all grow to one length, semi-punked it, shaven it almost all the way, oiled it, straightened it (fried my hair), ironed it, set it on juice cans (that was ok for a while), and let it dandelion out when in rebellious modes.
Now it is cut midlength, and layered to frame my face, and parted a little to one side. I only need to get it trimmed once every three months to maintain. My hair texture has changed maybe three times that I really noticed. What was once dry frizzy sometimes brittle semi-coarse and thick is now thick shiny and almost mangeable...thnk goodness. Unless I got like a Brazilian blowout or something, I think I can't much control it and am glad it finally started to relax on its own.

MsPoppy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Quoted from KLD1019: i use CHI Keratin mist. stuff works wonders! then i blow dry with a vented brush. i then straighten it (I have a BabyBliss Pro, WAY better than a CHI. plates are titanium and not ceramic AND you control the temp), after i straighten, i use the CHI shin infusion spray. i get told all the time how soft and shiny and non thick my hair is.

maggyparker

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i wish i would have think and long hair like u guys, i am bit jealous i have short and thin hair i am having hair fall problem. Also dandruff in winter. If any tips please share with me to make hair like you

dancingpotato

Banned PER USER's Request
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have long, thick hair. Well I guess it's probably medium length. I get annoyed with mine down cos it falls in my face. I never use any products and I straighten it when its down. I pin my fringe back sometimes which keeps its out my face and my hairdresser thins it, if she didnt then I swear I'd have an afro going on. Its really shiny and soft, never get tugs in it and it falls into its parting with me only brushing it back.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back