Writer's Block

Users who are viewing this thread

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
So I am a writer, as well as an avid reader. I have been writing ever since I came out of my mother's womb. I think I came out with a pen in hand, scribbling my experiences in the womb down on a little notepad lol. I was always the one to get top marks in English as far as writing stories went, and I have just always had this affliction with words. I love them, and the way that they can make someone that you haven't even met feel.

But then there are times when I cannot find the correct words. Sometimes I experience a bit of a block, which is so frustrating because I love to tell a story, and when I have the picture clear in my head but the words to support that scene just will not come, I hate it.

I haven't come up with a full proof technique to get rid of my writer's block. Do you have any tips, or tricks that help you to get rid of your writer's block?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I'm another one aboard the same writer's block ship, and while I try to get rid of it by finding inspiration through a long walking time outside, this is not always possible.

What I found useful to find the correct words to write down when these seems to slip away from my mind, I look back at the advice that I found at OWL, the Purdue Online Writing Lab, which involve the following topics:

Other Strategies for Getting Over Writer's Block
Help in overcoming writer's block and a short series of exercises to get you writing.

- Begin in the Middle
- Talk Out the Paper
- Tape the Paper
- Change the Audience
- Play a Role

Full description on each of the above topics is available here, https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/567/02/

OWL is my favorite resource for all my writing needs ;)

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
I'm another one aboard the same writer's block ship, and while I try to get rid of it by finding inspiration through a long walking time outside, this is not always possible.

What I found useful to find the correct words to write down when these seems to slip away from my mind, I look back at the advice that I found at OWL, the Purdue Online Writing Lab, which involve the following topics:

Full description on each of the above topics is available here, https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/567/02/

OWL is my favorite resource for all my writing needs ;)

Hey :) Thank you do much for these tips and for the link x

I have done a few of the aforementioned in the past. When I was younger, I used to pretend that I was each character, and talk out loud in the comfort of my room, like I was talking to the other characters in my story, and then I would switch from character to character, speaking their lines. A lot of the time it just flowed and it was witty and the dialogue was just perfect.

But a lot of the time it is not the dialogue that is the problem. The problem is usually the narration part. The explaining part. Sometimes it flows and I can find very creative and innovative ways to describe the simplest of things Other times I cannot describe even the simplest of things. Very frustrating. But I am going to give the link that you suggested a gander. Thanks again :)

What has your experience been with the above writer's block tips? Which tip was the most successful for you?

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back