Why do people think it's so easy to move on?

Users who are viewing this thread

CarlaG

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
The phrase 'moving on' seems to be everywhere now, and it's often said flippantly, or as something to say when a person can't think of any other advice to give. But is moving on from a long term relationship really that simple? I don't think so. Perhaps it depends on the person/people involved, and where there were exactly in the relationship. Sometimes there is so much healing to do that some people never seem to get over the break up, hence, they never 'move on'.

But what annoys me most about the phrase 'move on' is that it often stifles the person into thinking that they can't talk about their feelings for fear of being told to 'move on'.

What do you think?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Rhodolite

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think people have taken a more callous approach to others' feelings these days and it just kind of spread. I personally don't say it because I know it's not as easy as just doing it. The relationship was emotionally charged and once it ended it takes time to get over said emotions. If it were easy then more people would do it at the drop of a hat. I mean people spend years together before something ends and there's a lot of baggage that needs time to resolve and for a person to get to a level of comfort that they can let go and move on with their life.

An ex that I knew for 7 years and dated for 4 ditched me on Christmas and it took a while to move on from that experience. I wish it could have been easier- that I could just throw away all emotion and memories that I ever had for him, but it doesn't work like that haha.

Muthoni

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think that moving on is a choice that someone makes. Yes it hurts like crazy but one must make the decision to move on to stop hurting. I think someone gets this point when they get older; you realize that you have the power to overcome every obstacle that comes your way. If there is no possible way of getting together with this person then find ways to move on. I have been in a situation like that and truthfully I had to move on.

Mockingbird

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Moving on is far from easy and I agree with you, it can take a very long time to get over a relationship. I think the longer you are in a relationship the harder it will be just to move on. One of the first things you can do is actively prepare a clean state. Sometimes we are surrounded with so many reminders of the past it is hard not to feel bad about things not working out. An end of a relationship is a great time to clean out stuff and change the whole appearance of not only your living areas but maybe even you. How many times have we seen people go out and get a new hair style or new clothes. New Life new you right? Above all be optimistic, if this is just a bump in the road things could always work out at a later point in time. Sometimes breaking apart is the only way to be sure of the strength of the bonds.

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
In the past, I have told people that they need to move on. I wasn't trying to be hurtful. It's just that they were wasting so much time trying to get an ex back, despite being repeatedly told by that ex that there was no chance. They really needed to accept that it was over for good before they wound up on the receiving end of a restraining order.

HELLOnamesdana

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
It's easier said than done. It's so easy to tell someone that it's easy to move on, that you should just suck it up and do it already because eventually it will all get better. But for the person actually doing it, it is much harder than that.

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
The phrase 'moving on' seems to be everywhere now, and it's often said flippantly, or as something to say when a person can't think of any other advice to give. But is moving on from a long term relationship really that simple? I don't think so. Perhaps it depends on the person/people involved, and where there were exactly in the relationship. Sometimes there is so much healing to do that some people never seem to get over the break up, hence, they never 'move on'.

But what annoys me most about the phrase 'move on' is that it often stifles the person into thinking that they can't talk about their feelings for fear of being told to 'move on'.

What do you think?

The people who say that the most are onlookers. They have no emotional ties to your problem, so it's easy to be on the outside looking in and saying things like, "forget it........it's in the past............let it go..........move on already". Human emotion and attachments are expressed in different ways. Onlookers aren't dealing with these emotions so they tend to say what, they are feeling at the time, which is usually irritation, or sympathy.

I get emotional at times and I've learned to deal with my problems on my own. I seclude myself at home and methods to ease my worries and hang ups. I don't feel like hindering anyone with my bad trips in life. I'm sure everyone has that one friend that is needy and is constantly looking for help and acceptance in every aspect of their life. These are the friends that irritate you cause they are just so needy. Those are the ones that usually get the "move on" speech from me, due to irritation.

Kitty Kat

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
It's never easy, it's been 5 years for me and I still haven't truly moved on from that person. In my case though it may be due to the fact that I never got the closure that I needed in order to move on. Ya see, the love of my life died a bit over 5 years ago and I honestly feel like I never will be able to move on from him. Yes, I am in a relationship and I have been for a number of years now but I'll never love my boyfriend as much as I loved Nate. I love my boyfriend in a different way but sometimes I wonder if I do love him as much as he loves me. I often wonder that, I thought that the reason I had doubts was cuz I was in love with Nate even after my boyfriend and I started dating. He's gone now though and that can't be rectified, yet I still have these doubts even though it's silly for me to feel this way...

Last edited by a moderator:

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,392.55z
As we go through life, some people make an impression on our heart we will never forget. We need to love those who are with us because they too will pass.

Kitty Kat

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
As we go through life, some people make an impression on our heart we will never forget. We need to love those who are with us because they too will pass.

I know that and I understand that life is too short all too well. I just have doubts about my current relationship is all and I've had these doubts off and on through the years, I wish that I didn't. Sometimes I really do feel though that maybe we'd be better off with other people. Maybe people closer to our ages for instance. I have always had a thing for younger guys and as a result my boyfriend is nearly 4 years younger than me. I think that cuz of that is why I have these certain doubts, since I'm older I want more out of life than him it seems. He's content with how things are but I'm not.

RicAngelo

Reaction score
Tokenz
362.48z

What do you think?
of course, it is not easy to move on from a long-term relationship but you gotta do something, people said time will heal, and lets the time do it and just do what you should do until that day come, you make peace with yourself and move on

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
I totally agree that the phrase "moving on" is oversimplified and occasionally used casually without a true grasp of the complexities and emotions involved in terminating a long-term relationship. While some individuals may be able to move on quickly, others may need more time and healing before they are ready to truly let go and move on.

eldavis

Reaction score
Tokenz
163.83z
Moving on from a long term relationship is never easy, speaking from experience.there are memories that you simply cannot let go, its like building something for years then someone comes along and expect you forget about it like it never happened. Its not easy. Its a gradual process.

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,271.63z
I think it's easier to move on if I'm really disappointed. Yes, that very disappointment will erase the feeling of love. So it's easy for me to leave someone who disappointed me.

Chibson

Reaction score
Tokenz
214.28z
Exactly, I look at the disappointing side of the whole thing and tell myself the truth that I need to let go of this person and off I go.
Looking at the disappointing side of the whole thing can actually make you to move on faster. It is also important and necessary for people to have options because it can also facilitate that.

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back