What Role Playing Game Set The Standard For You?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottf13

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There are many role playing games in existence. However, not all are created equal. I enjoy the older games more than most of the newer ones. It feels like when the leap from 2D sprite to 3D realism began in earnest something was lost. It seemed like graphics took the place of Storyline.

I consider games like Chrono Trigger, FFIV and the first two Lufia games to have excellent stories.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

SpiderShark

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.07z
I think for me it was Diablo 2. It was simply amazing in every way, so many classes and skills to choose from, accompanied by an epic adventure through 5 acts . There were memorable boss fights and loads of rare and set items to collect. Plus you could do it all in multiplayer with your friends or random strangers from battlenet. It was definitely a RPG done right.

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
Urban Terror is a great FPS game. Rather than have a soldier walking and running it adds an extra element called speed jumping where you can move at very fast speeds if you have the right skill set. You can imagine that Capture The Flag games are quite exciting due to the pace of the movements. Best of all - it is free so go and try it now!

Scottf13

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Diablo 2 was awesome! I love the first one as well. I only lament that I don't have a good enough Internet connection to have gotten into Diablo 3.

Urban Terror sounds interesting, I might look into it. :)

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It was Final Fantasy Tactics that made me become picky with games that I want to play on console. I can play all sorts of genre on PC, but for console, it has to be turn-based RPG.

zerotoinfinity

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
World of Warcraft did a great job at setting the standard for me. I played since Vanilla but I stopped before Mists of Pandaria (I didn't like the whole panda theme). For me, graphics play an important role. It seems like I get more immersed in the storyline if they with relatable and realistic characters. But yeah, depending on what era you grew up in, you might have contrasting ideas.

One Direction

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
I first appreciated Role Playing Games when I got a PS1. The very first RPG that I played was Guardian's Crusade and I was amazed by its sheer scope and beautiful cartoony world. But the game that really set the bar for me was Xenogears. It was any epic adventure that told a beautiful story that would linger with gamers years after they have finished the game. It's that great.

Scottf13

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Three extremely good games are mentioned here, I never played Guardian's Crusade but that sounds good too.

Xenogears, WOW, and FF Tactics, I can see these games setting the bar for anyone. I stopped WOW long before Mists of Pandaria, but played for many years off and on.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back