What makes you buy a particular book?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joker99352

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Usually it's the author because I'll buy a book by an author I like even if it hasn't gotten great reviews. Other times, and I'd say most commonly, it's because of word-of-mouth or just the general popularity of the book. I don't really need an excuse to buy a classic piece of literature because it's a learning experience whether I enjoy it or not.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

mintyfish

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Not gonna lie, I do love a beautiful cover... but I would never buy a book on its cover alone. If I'm browsing, though, and I see a great cover I'll make a mental note to look it up on Goodreads or Amazon to see if it has good reviews. I do rely on public opinion quite a bit which I know is terrible.
If I can, I try to only buy books that I've actually read and enjoyed already. Or if it's something I haven't actually read before, I try to read the first chapter in the book store or online.

There's also a few people whose opinions I hold so highly that I'll buy almost any book they recommend to me.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Usually the topic, when this is something that I know it would be hard to find on the web, but mostly the author.

And my favorite authors are not in the list of the most renowned best-sellers, hence it's not that easy find their books and if I don't take the chance when I find one, I may not see that book again.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back