Weight lifting in old age

Users who are viewing this thread

NuckingFuts

One of the originals
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
395.93z
So just over 2 years ago I started on a whole body transformation. I went from 225 lbs, down to 175. My height is 5'6". So 225 lbs is fucking obese. I had a 36 inch waist and dropped down to a 32 inch waist. Now the way I lost the weight probably was not the healthiest way. But it is what it is. My wife and I went to a doctor that gave us some "magic pills" and a diet to follow. After I finished the program I joined a gym. I have vern in the gym 4 days a week and for at least 2 hours a day. I am still comfortably fitting is 32 inch waist pants. But I am now back up to 190 lbs. The big difference is, the weight gain is mostly muscle. I love the way I look and feel. The gym is my happy place. The place where I go to forget about everything else. I am 48 years old and in the best physical condition I have every been in. Now if I could only get that six pack!

Anyways how many of you old heads still live an active lifestyle?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

relcap23

Reaction score
Tokenz
737.53z
So just over 2 years ago I started on a whole body transformation. I went from 225 lbs, down to 175. My height is 5'6". So 225 lbs is fucking obese. I had a 36 inch waist and dropped down to a 32 inch waist. Now the way I lost the weight probably was not the healthiest way. But it is what it is. My wife and I went to a doctor that gave us some "magic pills" and a diet to follow. After I finished the program I joined a gym. I have vern in the gym 4 days a week and for at least 2 hours a day. I am still comfortably fitting is 32 inch waist pants. But I am now back up to 190 lbs. The big difference is, the weight gain is mostly muscle. I love the way I look and feel. The gym is my happy place. The place where I go to forget about everything else. I am 48 years old and in the best physical condition I have every been in. Now if I could only get that six pack!

I am 61and.consider myself in top physical condition. I have stopped going to the gym for more than 3 decades. I just do walking and doing sumba a week.

pjbleek

Reaction score
Tokenz
795.15z

for the past ten years I have been going to the gym and trying all different activities. I used to go to the gym five days a week and it wasn't until I started tracking my food intake. I once was 262lbs, now am at 222....(my lowest was 212) but I know what caused the ten pound gain, I wasn't weighing my intake, so...) I do a cardio circuit on Monday, Thursday I do a mixed circuit training, Saturday I do strength, Sunday I do spinning, strength, yoga.) I do a ton of walking at my job, so helps. I also tried Kickboxing, which helped for the cardio. Still can't run due to my calves and hips so tight,. but I try!

NuckingFuts

One of the originals
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
395.93z
for the past ten years I have been going to the gym and trying all different activities. I used to go to the gym five days a week and it wasn't until I started tracking my food intake. I once was 262lbs, now am at 222....(my lowest was 212) but I know what caused the ten pound gain, I wasn't weighing my intake, so...) I do a cardio circuit on Monday, Thursday I do a mixed circuit training, Saturday I do strength, Sunday I do spinning, strength, yoga.) I do a ton of walking at my job, so helps. I also tried Kickboxing, which helped for the cardio. Still can't run due to my calves and hips so tight,. but I try!
I love that. I hope at some point I can get to where you are in your training. I try to do cardio. But ever since I got covid in 2021, I developed a chronic cough and my breathing just sucks. I get winded real easy. But I do as much as I can with cardio a minimum of twice a week. If I'm feeling good, I will do HIIT training on the elliptical or a bike. Just 10 minutes of that. Pushed to the limit for a minimum, 20 second slowed down. Then at it again. 10 sets of that.

relcap23

Reaction score
Tokenz
737.53z
Brisk walking is a good exercise, but when pandemic struck I had stopped because I don't want to wear mask while walking. Now with masks optional I also didn't pursue brisk walking because of hot weather temperature even in the morning.

pjbleek

Reaction score
Tokenz
795.15z
I love that. I hope at some point I can get to where you are in your training. I try to do cardio. But ever since I got covid in 2021, I developed a chronic cough and my breathing just sucks. I get winded real easy. But I do as much as I can with cardio a minimum of twice a week. If I'm feeling good, I will do HIIT training on the elliptical or a bike. Just 10 minutes of that. Pushed to the limit for a minimum, 20 second slowed down. Then at it again. 10 sets of that.
^^^^ that sucks! (in a good way) try this, go on a treadmill get a good incline on it and run as fast as you can for 10-30 seconds, that's the worst!

Blessed19

Reaction score
Tokenz
883.68z
It is very good to know that you still get to enthusiasm to lift weights even at your acclaimed old age which shows that you were very active as a young gun back in the days. Though I am athlete but I do not lift much weights because it seems I do not need much of it in the game that I play but more of footwork trainings

Mystic

OTz's Typo Scouser
Reaction score
Tokenz
117.19z
Since covid, I've slacked off big time and paid by gaining 25 pounds. But at 50 and being a woman that was just bad news all around. I'm only 5'3 so 25 pounds extra makes me look round. Lol.

Anyway, so i got back to business last summer and successfully took that weight off by eating right, berberine, magnesium citrate, vit d, k, zinc and omega3s, along with enzymes and probiotics. Once i git my body and gut in better health just ordinary walking and gardening worked.

What I've been trying to do of late, is to add weights in as it's very important i don't start to lose bone mass as i age which seems to be an issue in the women of my family... so weight training is best for that.

The difficulty i have is sticking to a routine because my life is such a roller coaster.

I keep a food journal and weigh almost daily so i can see what effects me more or less.

But this getting older sure makes it difficult to remain at a weight area you feel comfortable with. I'm in a learning curve right now with the fluctuations in hormones. I figure if i can just remain constant fir the next 5 to 10 years that will be okay, if i lose, awesome! However, if i see that 25 again... fuck me no way. Lol

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back