US Fashion vs. UK Fashion

Users who are viewing this thread

mintyfish

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I'm an American studying abroad in England. I've been here for a about 2 months now, and I've gotta say, Brits dress way better an average than Americans. I'm not saying there aren't some really well dressed people in the US because there definitely are, but it also seems that about half of America dresses pretty poorly. It's so different in England; there are a few badly dressed people, but for the most part everyone cares so much more about what they where and everyone is wearing what is in style.

Even as far as college students go, at my home university some people are dressed nicely but a lot are in whatever is comfortable, especially guys. It's pretty much never this way at my British university. Even guys dress up and do their hair to go to class.

Has anyone else ever come across this or know maybe why this is?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
I never noticed it tbh. I only spent a short time in NY NY and everyone there seemed to dress up ok. It wasn't like SATC but thats just TV anyway. America is a big place so perhaps in some states they are more laid back about what they wear compared to the cities. The UK is small so you see the same people everyday, you don't want to look too bad when they see you.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Well, since the turn of the century I stopped paying attention to fashion because all the fashion rules and ways people dress up relaxed too much.

In the past it was bad taste or unacceptable dress up wearing clothes with different textile patterns, and so on. So that, I never realized that Brits dress better but probably.

Most Americans like to dress up casual, and I feel that in Great Britain still exist a touch of class among many people.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
The states have a very wide variety of culture as to how people dress

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk 2

Jamie

First Person Shooter
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.51z
I have noticed this too, Americans are more relaxed and overall less bothered about their clothes, whereas I feel us Brits feel the need to impress at all times.

Maybe we're all just a little insecure.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Brits often comment on fat ass yankee slacks

Yanks don't

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I have noticed this too, Americans are more relaxed and overall less bothered about their clothes, whereas I feel us Brits feel the need to impress at all times.

Maybe we're all just a little insecure.
Latest trend here in the states is pajamas in public

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Oh wow, we get a few people doing that in supermarkets but only when it's early :p
We have people wearing them all day here..at least in my area..not sure about the rest of the states though..but geneally trends here are within about three years of each other depending on which part of the country you are in.

angelicagapit

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
Modern fashion today is a sort of like a mix of different fashion cultures in one. However, if I were to choose US fashion or UK fashion, I'd definitely choose UK fashion. I for layers and winter-type clothing.

American fashion, in my opinion, is a bit more laid back, wherein UK fashion is more classier, prim and proper. I wear comfortable clothes often, but when going out, I really like dressing up like British girls.

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back