The GMO Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
What's your stance on GMO food? How do you feel about the fact that everything organic has to be labeled so yet GMO products go unlabeled?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Jackass master

Old and worn out
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Organic producers don't have the deep pockets like Dupont, Monsanto, Bayer and ADM. The feds respond to the political influence exerted when they make the rules.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
A genetically modified organism (GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. These techniques, generally known as recombinant DNA technology, use DNA molecules from different sources, which are combined into one molecule to create a new set of genes. This DNA is then transferred into an organism, giving it modified or novel genes. Transgenic organisms, a subset of GMOs, are organisms that have inserted DNA from a different species. GMOs are the constituents of genetically modified foods.
Critics have objected to GMOs on several grounds, including tampering with nature, ecological concerns, economic concerns raised by the fact these organisms are often subject to intellectual property law, whether food produced from GMOs should be banned or labelled, whether such food is safe, and whether GM crops are useful to address the world's food needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism

Francis

Sarcasm is me :)
Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
By far I think all of these food GMO should be labelled as such..

Is there value in some of these foods, I think so but one must always be very careful. Any food that is tampered with can be a hazard to our health.. But one could say cross breading ( hybrid ) in nature is genetically altering food yet it is being done naturally ( wild ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
By far I think all of these food GMO should be labelled as such..

Is there value in some of these foods, I think so but one must always be very careful. Any food that is tampered with can be a hazard to our health.. But one could say cross breading ( hybrid ) in nature is genetically altering food yet it is being done naturally ( wild ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_%28biology%29

Natural hybrids are a lot different than genetically manipulating DNA.

Bictor

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The main concern about GMOs is that they have NOT been extensively tested for safety in regards to possible allergic reactions and long term bodily harm. Another reason is that corporations are intruding on the genetic identity of food organisms, which could lead to complex problems that they are overlooking. For example, human growth hormone (HGH) is naturally synthesized in human bodies. However, an excess of human growth hormone can lead to aggressive behavior, possible tumor formation, and behavioral/social disorders. In the same way, adding vitamin C to an orange can negatively affect the nutrient constitution of an orange. All in all, GMOs are relatively new, but they go against the order of nature because humankind is going beyond its role to modify a natural organism.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back