Liars - J. Passananti

Users who are viewing this thread

Geonav

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I've had an idea buzzing around in my head for a while, I wanted to start writing it now since I actually have a chance. Please read and comment, but as you do, keep in mind that this is completely unedited so far.

Prologue

Melanie Halverson stood outside Director Crozier's office, something she'd done countless times over the past seven years, this was the first time she'd ever felt so nervous. Was it because they hadn't spoken since the incident with Captain Rutherford two years prior or because his sudden message had interrupted her dinner with Daniel? She and had been discussing ways to spend the summer with his niece, Amy, who was "visiting" while her parents took a business trip to Egypt. At 11:00 her phone began to flash and play the "Imperial March" theme from "Star wars" (a song she had selected for the director some time ago). The short text message read: "office. midnight. don't be late Mel." Sighing she'd excused herself from the table, inadvertently leaving her friend to pick up the tab, something she'd have to remind herself to pay him back for.
"Melanie," boomed Mr. Crozier's voice, "always the early one," he said smiling as he unlocked the door.
"Good evening sir," she replied, "how are you?"
"I'm doing alright. I'm giving you a new assignment, just you."
"Just me," Melanie questioned, "you taught me that no job can be done correctly with just one person. You've preached that for years now."
"Hear me out," he replied, "this is a special assignment." Melanie's heart jumped, she had never heard those words come from his mouth, nor had anyone else as far as she was aware; in fact, until this very moment she thought she had known everything there was to know about Nathaniel Crozier and his beloved company.
"By now, you're familiar with our line of work," Crozier began, "sometimes I've wondered if it was worth all the trouble, all the heartache, all the long, long nights - all the things we could do without. But when I looked at you, my angel, and at your work...and when I looked at my bank account, I knew I was doing exactly what I should be. I was satisfied." The young woman sat in silence while the director paused to collect his thoughts. How many years had it been since he'd referred to her as an angel? Certainly it had only been a term of endearment he'd used on her teenaged self, it was impossible for a man like him to love anything that wasn't money.
"Alas," he said, "I'm getting older now and it is time I retired, I feel like I can be of no further use to anyone in our organization. Melanie, I've given all my secrets to you so that-"
"To me, sir?"
"Of course you! Everyone knows you were always the best. They look up to you, not only as our head Fabricator, but as a friend and a leader. It is your flawless - near flawless - record and your ability to keep work and pleasure separate that has led you to this promotion."
"Nate," Melanie interjected, "as head fabricator there is no further promo-"
"I'm making you director, starting in 5..."
"You're making me what?"
"3...2...congratulations director. As you already know, the files, keys, phone numbers and persons of interest, basically everything you'll need is in the top left-hand drawer of this desk. Your team will contact you tomorrow, I've already told them about the change in management. I recommend you find yourself a fabricator good as you were. This is your show now Mel, get her done right." With that her longtime friend and confidant, not to mention boss, hurried out of the room as though he were late to an important meeting. After taking in everything she'd just been told Melanie walked to the other side of the desk and pulled out the list of names and numbers, it was going to be a long night.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

MsPoppy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I love how you pulled me straight into the story. I felt like I was her, and the visual stuff kicked in....that is always a strong indicator to me of connection. You also closed the passage off very effectively...left me wanting for more

Geonav

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you liked it. I just pulled back into port so I'm hoping I'll be able to add more too it soon

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back