IS Professional Wrestling A Sport

Users who are viewing this thread

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
I noticed that there is a WWE thread in the sports section of this forum, so the forum owner must at least consider professional wrestling to be somewhat of a sport.

I have had this argument many times with people, as to whether or not professional wrestling is a sport or not. The main factor that seems to make people conclude that it is not a sport is the fact that all of the competition is already determined before the actual competition takes place. People have told me that professional wrestling is more entertainment, but my argument is that these guys are still some of the absolute best athletes in the world, and what they do - in my opinion - qualifies for being a sport.

Your thoughts?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

SpiralArchitect

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
They are athletic, true but unless there is competitiveness involved, a thing cannot be labelled a sport. As simple as that, WWE is not a sport.

bmfc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have watched wrestling my whole life. Yes, I admit part of pro wrestling is acting. I know, some pro wrestling. In order to do that kind of work. You have to be an athlete. Those guys and gals put their bodies through a lot to entertain people. They need more respect.

BelgianRockfan2

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I've never really thought about it not being a sport, but the argument that it's predetermined is a bit flawed in my opinion. Sure, it's not really a competition in the truest sense of the word because other people will decide who gets to be champion, but you have to be pretty damn good to be even considered as champion. In that aspect I think it is a competition, because those wrestlers train to be better than others, so that the bosses will pick them as next champion. They compete indirectly with each other instead of directly.

One Direction

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
I don't consider it as a sport. It's too scripted to consider it as such. Yes, there's skill and athleticism involved... But in sports, you do not talk about the outcome before hand. You do not tell your opponent what punch you will throw or who is supposed to win. When I was a kid, I thought it was real and I considered it as a sport. Not anymore though. It's more of a soap opera rather than a sport.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,392.55z
I believe it has to do with terminology. Professional wrestlers are definitely athletes. They put their bodies through a lot to build up their size and what they go through in the ring. Professional wrestlers are entertainers who are in great physical condition. All the winners are pre-determined and the soap opera associated with it is all entertainment. I have no doubt that many of them could participate in a real sport or defeat the average Joe in a real wrestling match just on pure strength. Our local newspaper will do a write up after big PPV events and it is always in the sports section. I believe sports entertainment is how it is designated. Harlem Globetrotters are sports entertainment.

ajdunn

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ballet dancers are incredible athletes who train for years to reach peak physical condition... that doesn't make ballet a sport. Sport has to have an element of competition that is not pre-determined.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yes is definitely a sport combined with a form of theatre. The outcome of the fight and most of the schemes are rigged, but the wrestlers are real athletes. They have bodybuilder bodies with powerlifting power and athlete stamina, they are also great acrobats.

SpiralArchitect

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ballet dancers are incredible athletes who train for years to reach peak physical condition... that doesn't make ballet a sport. Sport has to have an element of competition that is not pre-determined.

I was going to comment on something along these lines but yeah, this is the bottom line. Just because it is difficult to do and requires physical effort doesn't mean it is a sport.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Sports are a game of to see who will win a competition. ...IMO its a rigged sport.

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
I wouldn't call it a sport as it is not really competitive if you are told you are going to have to lose before or during the event. However, it is very entertaining (like gladiators) and i used to be a huge fan back in the days when it was WWF. My fav was undertaker, can't believe how long he lasted!

Knotical

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Though the "participants" are rather physically fit, I would not call it a sport either. As another poster pointed out, unless their is true competition it really cannot be called a sport. WWE can only be most closely related to a type of theater, as there are literally plot-lines, and the people involved are putting on a performance. I do concede it is much more physical than other forms of entertainment, but that is all it really is.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back