Intuitive Eating

Users who are viewing this thread

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
Here are some steps you must conquer to truly be successful on a diet. Once you break down the walls in your mind that food has created for you, you can really start to enjoy and appreciate the things you eat, and "stop and smell the flowers" so to speak, rather than shoving as much food as possible down your throat and gorging. I seriously think that food is an addiction, and it is something you have to have power over. Don't let the food control you!

1. Distinguish appetite from hunger: An appetite is thoughts about food, while hunger is an actual physical sensation in your body telling you to eat.

2. Eat to satisfy physical hunger: The goal of eating is purely to satisfy those physical sensations of hunger and not for any other reason. And other reason for eating is consider overeating, which contributes to weight gain.

3. Eat the foods you desire: Before sitting down to eat, you determine what food(s) will satisfy your hunger, and those are the foods you eat.

4. Savor each and every bite: Take time to enjoy the food you are eating. This means tasting the flavors, smelling the aromas, experiencing the textures, and appreciating how great the food looks.

5. Regard food as fuel: Understanding that food is not comfort or love is an important step toward following your thintuition®. Food is what you put in your body to keep it running.

6. Stop eating when hunger disappears: There is a moment when your hunger disappears. The feeling is like that of no longer being thirsty. It is a place where you feel most comfortable and when you should flip the “off switch” and stop eating.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
On a diet to lose weight, protein heavy foods will fill you up for longer and cause you to eat less, whereas simple carbs will hold you over momentarily and essentially be empty calories because you'll be just as hungry again in a short period of time. Chicken breasts, tuna (and other fish!) are awesome protein sources and the kinds of carbs that fill you up and keep you full come from foods like baked potatoes, sweet potatoes and oatmeal, but the Old Fashioned Oats are so much better for you than the instant packets.

There is an awesome website called fitday.com that allows you to track your calories- it's easy and free! (Sorry if I'm not allowed to put a website in there. Just take it out if it's not allowed!)

I'm really into nutrition; I'm an exercise science major and I'm thinking about getting my masters in nutrition, so if any one has any specific quesitons - I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I do, however, have a hard time with a few of the things you put up there Breakfast. I'm horrible about stopping when I need to. I don't think I have that switch... :dunno:

~K

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
1. Distinguish appetite from hunger: An appetite is thoughts about food, while hunger is an actual physical sensation in your body telling you to eat.

Another good tip in line with this is to drink water instead if you're feeling hungry. Most people don't drink enough water anyway and it will take some of your hunger away.:)

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
just to add to what peter said.... when your stomach growls, drink a glass of water.. wait 15 minutes and if it growls again, its real hunger and not just stomach noises! then eat

Haus

OTz Original
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Another good tip in line with this is to drink water instead if you're feeling hungry. Most people don't drink enough water anyway and it will take some of your hunger away.:)
exactly. Drink water. Water fills you pretty good. eat a good meal and if still hungry drink a glass of water and you should feel full and not hungry. if you get hungry thought out the day. drink some more water till you next meal instead of eating snacks.

78,865Threads
2,185,213Messages
4,953Members
Back