I have such a hard time with discipline

Users who are viewing this thread

TABL

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
and it's made me a pushover. I'm trying hard to correct it. But I still have trouble.
Now and issue has come up with my daughter. She is 16. She lied about something, and I found out. And it had to do with me. And I'm crushed. At first I was more upset that I was duped but now I'm upset about the lying.
Long story short, it involves a trip to a college campus tour. I'm thinking I should just keep her home now. Ugh.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Catavenger

Still a newbie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Oh I thought you meant you had a hard time TAKING discipline. I do because I hate being told what to do. That's probably why I didn't do so well in school or on the job. My father always told me to stay out of the military. I am sure he was much the same way; he was drafted so did what he had to do but he didn't like it. Like me he was pretty much a loner.

Joe the meek

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
and it's made me a pushover. I'm trying hard to correct it. But I still have trouble.
Now and issue has come up with my daughter. She is 16. She lied about something, and I found out. And it had to do with me. And I'm crushed. At first I was more upset that I was duped but now I'm upset about the lying.
Long story short, it involves a trip to a college campus tour. I'm thinking I should just keep her home now. Ugh.

The problem with diciplining kids is that you can end up punishing yourself as much as your child as long as you follow through with what you say you're going to do. Thing is, the child usually dosen't know that.

sulayman

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think that one of the major issues parents have this day and age is understanding their kids. They are too busy working and doing other things that they do not have a chance or the time to be understanding and involved in their kids lives and that creates an area where the kids feel as though they have to lie to you because you dont know or get what they are going through.

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
I find that a lot of people are always quick to say something about someone else's badly behaved children, but then when it comes to them having their own children, they are pushover, because there is that emotional connection that wasn't there with other kids. I feel like Supernanny can straighten out any child. If you need advice, watch her show. My sister has gotten and implemented many of the techniques from that show.

Josie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.15z
I'd say the important part isn't that she wronged you, it's why she felt she had to.. why did she lie? There lies the issue that needs to be dealt with. And that's only coming from a place of reading a VERY small, vague piece of the entire puzzle lol.

trishgl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
When it comes to teenagers all you can do is keep trying to communicate. You have to lay down ground rules and if they break it then you have to stick to your guns and follow through with the consequence. I know it hurts that you have to "punish" them but they have to be taught that actions have consequences. They have to see the importance of weighting the pros and cons of a situation before they act. This is a skill they need to learn in order to be successful in life. If you don't teach this then who will?

amy005

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The most important thing is to be consistent about it, I think if you have someone who is now 16 and haven't been very consistent in the past about disciplining her it is probably almost to the point of being a little too late to start now because she probably won't take you seriously. Although if you have been disciplining her in the past and now just find it harder because she is a teen then that is totally understandable too and you just need to try a few different things. I am only going by my past experience of being a teen girl since it wasn't that long ago that I was one myself lol.

ally79

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If you haven't figured out how to discipline her before 16 you are either going to have to turn into a drill sergeant or get over it. I am guessing she said she was going on a college tour and actually went off to party with her friends?

rand paul

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think that positive reinforcement in a strong way is good.
encourage them to get a job and preach fiscal responsibility.
Youll find your child has a lot more discipline when they have a goal

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
I sympathize with your frustration and dissatisfaction, particularly when it involves your own child deceiving you. Setting limits and punishments for lying is critical since it can lead to a loss of trust in the relationship. However, it is also critical to communicate with your daughter and attempt to comprehend why she felt the need to lie in the first place.

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,271.63z
I really hate lies, I will not normalize anyone who does it. If my child does it, then I will give him an educational punishment to give a deterrent effect. Example: Cut the ration of pocket money for some time because of the lies they do.

cherry123

Reaction score
Tokenz
157.93z
Yeah it is good to train our kids let them know that it is wrong to do anything that will affect them and others negatively all the time

78,866Threads
2,185,227Messages
4,953Members
Back