How food has changed in the past 50 years

Users who are viewing this thread

gata montes

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.32z
Although amusing its really quite amazing and in some ways quite shocking too - when you realize just how much our food and the words we use to describe it have changed in the short space of just 50 years and particularly so for me - as a large part of these changes have happened during my lifetime.

Almost with noticing - many of the food related words we now use on a regular basis - either didn't exist or had a totally different meaning back then - such as

Curry was not a food but a surname
A takeaway was a mathematical problem
Pizza had something to do with a leaning tower and not a food
A Big Mac was what was worn when it was raining
Fish didn't have fingers in those days
Oil was used for lubricating and only fat was used for cooking
Yoghurt - no one had ever heard of it
Eating raw fish was called poverty not - sushi
Indian restaurants were only found in India
Kebab wasn't even a word let alone a food
Cooking outside was called camping
Surprisingly muesli was readily available - but in those days was called cattle feed
Pineapples came in chunks in a tin and no one had actually seen a real pineapple - only a picture of one
Seaweed at the time was not recognized as food
Water came out of a tap and if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it - they would have become a laughing stock

I'm sure that there are many more examples than I have listed here - so if any of you can think of anymore words that either didn't exist or had a totally different meaning in those days or even during your lifetime regardless of how many years you've been around - please feel free to add them :D

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

lizzief79

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I love this post and it is really funny. On a serious note though, food really has changed in the past 50 years. Immigration and increased travel mean that regional or national foods are spreading across the world. Preservatives and technology enabling farmers to grow products year round rather than seasonally has also influenced when we eat, what we eat and where our food comes from.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back