Growing Wave of Stroke among the Young...

Users who are viewing this thread

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Young men and women share the same cardiovascular risks from unhealthy behaviors. But women are more prone to migraines, and they are uniquely vulnerable to pregnancy-relatedcomplications and hormones found in birth control pills, all of which increase stroke risk.

Morton ate well and exercised, but she started smoking at 19. She got migraines soon after her first pregnancy in 2000, and had taken birth control pills and Lupron, a synthetic hormone, to control endometriosis.

Lupron comes with a warning that women with clotting disorders or a history of stroke should avoid the drug. But Morton didn’t find out she was positive for factor V Leiden — a mutation linked to clotting problems — until after her stroke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-a86b-362fd5443d19_story.html?wpisrc=nl_hdtop

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Mockingbird

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
There is so much junk in our foods these days, add this to the environmental toxins and the stuff we use or take that is suppose to be good for us, i am not surprised young people are having serious health issues. It just cannot be good when the majority of the supermarket sells things they call food that really has no food in it at all. You want to be scared try reading the labels on some of the stuff they sell us. No wonder people have migraines and all sorts of weird stuff happening. Cannot be good in anyway.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Don't you think processed food must be avoided as it contains poisonous food additives??
Although most food additives are permitted by the FDA yet research says that most of the food preservatives and additives are 'poisonous'.
I think we must go back to 'fresh food'.....provided it is not adulterated nor 'refurbished' again by chemicals

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
The lines between migraine and TIA or between TIA and stroke are very thin. Migraines alone are a huge risk factor and predictor of future strokes. I get pretty severe migraines and have had a TIA. A friend of mine, in her mid-twenties, had an actual stroke. She thought it was a migraine but it wouldn't go away and it was just 'wrong' and by the time she became concerned there was some permanent damage. I think it's really important, especially for people who usually get migraines to know how their migraines usually go. The go to the ER if the migraine is 'wrong' somehow or they don't get relief with the usual medication. Many people don't ask for help with migraines because the ER treats them like they're drug seeking or they can't afford the newer medication types and the doctors don't like to prescribe the old drugs even though the old ones work fine other than being controlled.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
The lines between migraine and TIA or between TIA and stroke are very thin. Migraines alone are a huge risk factor and predictor of future strokes. I get pretty severe migraines and have had a TIA. A friend of mine, in her mid-twenties, had an actual stroke. She thought it was a migraine but it wouldn't go away and it was just 'wrong' and by the time she became concerned there was some permanent damage. I think it's really important, especially for people who usually get migraines to know how their migraines usually go. The go to the ER if the migraine is 'wrong' somehow or they don't get relief with the usual medication. Many people don't ask for help with migraines because the ER treats them like they're drug seeking or they can't afford the newer medication types and the doctors don't like to prescribe the old drugs even though the old ones work fine other than being controlled.

you may be right but migraine is beyond my experience.

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Don't you think processed food must be avoided as it contains poisonous food additives??
Although most food additives are permitted by the FDA yet research says that most of the food preservatives and additives are 'poisonous'.
I think we must go back to 'fresh food'.....provided it is not adulterated nor 'refurbished' again by chemicals

For some people with migraines, some commonly used food additives are a trigger. Learning to avoid the trigger items that can be hidden anywhere can be a challenge. I can definitely see how those same things could increase the risk of TIA or stroke as well. The standard american diet is full of things that increase blood clotting.

The number of women on long-term hormonal birth control has also skyrocketted. Very few people chose non-hormonal methods and hormonal birth control exponentially increases the risk of blood clots. Blood clots can lead to stroke. Smoking also increases the risk of blood clots.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
For some people with migraines, some commonly used food additives are a trigger. Learning to avoid the trigger items that can be hidden anywhere can be a challenge. I can definitely see how those same things could increase the risk of TIA or stroke as well. The standard american diet is full of things that increase blood clotting.

The number of women on long-term hormonal birth control has also skyrocketted. Very few people chose non-hormonal methods and hormonal birth control exponentially increases the risk of blood clots. Blood clots can lead to stroke. Smoking also increases the risk of blood clots.
Hmm...you scare me! My smoking Golden Jubilee is around the corner....wouldn't you like to celebrate it with me? :)

NB: am glad I don't drink,,never did.

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back