Garden helpers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackass master

Old and worn out
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Yesterday I moved the hens and their house out of the barn. I have it on a skid frame so I can lift it with the skid steer. They have their own large enclosure from a big dog kennel. The one side is the garden fence and I cut an opening so they can go into the orchard area as well. Since they run right through the cattle panels that separate the orchard I picked up a roll of wire to keep them out of the garden. Meanwhile they are having a ball picking and scratching in the dirt and manure I tilled up. Love those jumbo brown eggs every day!
chickens001_zps4eb84b1b.jpg

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Jackass master

Old and worn out
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Today we put the fence up and finshed gathering up all the old weeds and plant stems. Took up the black planting cloth except where we moved the tomatoes to. Then I brought over another big tractor bucket of manure and tilled that in with the big tiller. Got out my ancient walk behind front tine tiller and did around the fence and after I transplant the raspberries that have spread everywhere will till up the strawberry bed. Want them in as well as the berries before the rain rolls in. Will plant the onion sets and peas also. I am going to stagger the planting by 2 weeks so any late frost does not get all of them like last year. We hardly got any peas last year. They came up and looked great at about 18" up the fence. Then the cold spell hit and killed most of them.

Jackass master

Old and worn out
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
Here is a pic from July4th. Corn is almost finshed and except for egg plants and brussel sprouts most of the garden is picked and put away. Will turn the chickens out in the garden to clean up rotten tomatoes and whatever bugs they can catch. We got 2 more hens and then last Friday either a coon or fox killed one of the original ones. Time to tear the corn down so I can see out in the garden and shoot whatever is coming around. I know the coons got into the corn as I found ears that were eaten on the ground today.first berries 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dreamseer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
This makes me miss the farm where I grew up! We still live out in the country, but the house is rented. I loved the fresh eggs and goat milk. We still grow a garden, but it's nothing compared to the spread my parents used to have every year. We always canned tons of fruit and vegetables and to this day, my taste buds have not grown accustomed to the stuff out of a can from the store. Beautiful pictures!

78,864Threads
2,185,191Messages
4,953Members
Back