Fresh or Frozen Fruit & Veg ?

Users who are viewing this thread

gata montes

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.32z
As we are now all being encouraged to eat more and more fruit and vegetables - there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what people think is the best way to buy them - not just in terms of cost but also in terms of which has the most nutritional value.

So bearing in mind - that the moment a fruit or vegetable is picked it starts to lose valuable nutrients.

As what we buy from the store is generally far from fresh and more often than not probably more like a month old and therefore totally lacking any form of nutrient by the time it reaches our tables - due to the fact - that it has been transported from growers to warehouses to stores and then sat around waiting for the consumer to buy it and then of course there is the aspect that not only are out of season fruit and vegetables usually quite expensive - but as they've generally been sprayed with chemicals in order to help them grow and to preserve them during their transportation and to increase their shelf life - I'm thinking that fresh is only best - if grown yourself and picked at its prime or bought fresh from a local producer - as that is the only way that fresh produce is likely to still contain plenty of nutrients.

Whereas frozen vegetables - as they are harvested at their prime and frozen immediately - they are not only likely to be fresher than those bought in the store but more likely to still contain most of their valuable nutrients - in fact there are also a few other aspects to consider when thinking of buying frozen fruit and vegetables - such as - because they are generally harvested when in season - the price normally remains more stable which usually makes them less expensive than their " fresh " counterparts and apart from being much easier and quicker to prepare - as they can normally be cooked in less water - they lose even less of their nutrients.

Which do you prefer to buy and which do you consider to be the best - in terms of not only nutrient content but also for our budgets - fresh or frozen ?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I'm really not keen on frozen fruit or vegetables at all. I find that they don't defrost all that well and quite often turn mushy. I live close to several grocery stores so I'm able to get my F & V fresh every few days if I need to.

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I like fresh fruit and vegetables. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with actual farms within 30-40 minutes that sell their items. We join a co-op each year too. I don't buy frozen items BUT I do sometimes can or freeze items myself to be eaten later.

Blessed19

Reaction score
Tokenz
883.68z
As we are now all being encouraged to eat more and more fruit and vegetables - there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what people think is the best way to buy them - not just in terms of cost but also in terms of which has the most nutritional value.

So bearing in mind - that the moment a fruit or vegetable is picked it starts to lose valuable nutrients.

As what we buy from the store is generally far from fresh and more often than not probably more like a month old and therefore totally lacking any form of nutrient by the time it reaches our tables - due to the fact - that it has been transported from growers to warehouses to stores and then sat around waiting for the consumer to buy it and then of course there is the aspect that not only are out of season fruit and vegetables usually quite expensive - but as they've generally been sprayed with chemicals in order to help them grow and to preserve them during their transportation and to increase their shelf life - I'm thinking that fresh is only best - if grown yourself and picked at its prime or bought fresh from a local producer - as that is the only way that fresh produce is likely to still contain plenty of nutrients.

Whereas frozen vegetables - as they are harvested at their prime and frozen immediately - they are not only likely to be fresher than those bought in the store but more likely to still contain most of their valuable nutrients - in fact there are also a few other aspects to consider when thinking of buying frozen fruit and vegetables - such as - because they are generally harvested when in season - the price normally remains more stable which usually makes them less expensive than their " fresh " counterparts and apart from being much easier and quicker to prepare - as they can normally be cooked in less water - they lose even less of their nutrients.

Which do you prefer to buy and which do you consider to be the best - in terms of not only nutrient content but also for our budgets - fresh or frozen ?
I will go for everything fresh though there are times that you would not get the fresh fruit or vegetable so you take the frozen one and there is nothing wrong with the frozen fruit or vegetable but I still prefer the fresh what you know.

AstriaPorta

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,098.37z
I prefer fresh but lately prices gone up so much so i do get some frozen
i do not buy canned as they not too healthy and i hate how most smell
i do buy fresh vegetables and freeze them also quiet often . I get them when they are cheap and in season and have them when the prices go up

78,865Threads
2,185,203Messages
4,953Members
Back