Electric cars

Users who are viewing this thread

caparica007

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
What's your view on electric cars? It seems to me it's the best technology, better for the environment and more economic because if doesn't use diesel or gasoline. So why aren't these cars best sellers yet? :ninja

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

pluser

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
They're great for some people. People that have multiple vehicles, live in the city or don't commute far, own a home with a garage, and can afford to travel without using the electric car. That's not to say other people without those luxuries can't live with an electric car though.

The most popular electric cars still carry a premium price, although there are a few that are very affordable, like the Fiat 500e.

Also, they couldn't be best sellers. They just can't. There isn't the production capacity to make that happen.

Expect electric car sales to keep climbing as battery technology improves and battery prices decline. Any day now, Panasonic is supposed to release an updated cell that will increase capacity by 17%. Then things will really change when lithium air batteries are commercialized. As that happens, more automobile segments will be filled by electric cars.

I'd love to have an electric car to drive around most days of the year, but it'd be difficult for me to afford those days of the year when an electric car isn't suitable. Having multiple cars is something I'm trying to move away from, both because of expense, and because it's a hassle to take care of more than one car. Something like a Chevy Volt is nearly perfect for me. I could use it primarily as an electric vehicle most of the time, but because it's a hybrid, I can drive it well beyond the range of the electric battery. Take the Chevy Volt foundation and refine the technology for a couple generations, and it'll be serve as the underpinnings for most of the vehicles I buy from then on.

woot223

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
At first I was skeptical about these electric vehicles but then I got to drive one and it was awesome. The car was some modified Audi, not an officially released car but it still was a very nice experience. There was absolutely no noise of the engine, it accelerated really fast and overall was a very smooth ride.

Jackass master

Old and worn out
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
I have put almost 120,000 miles on 2 Prius hybrids and they are great if you just need cheap transportation. Not good in the snow but I have other vehicles for that. They have plenty of power and average 48 mpg.

rand paul

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I could never bring myself to drive an electric car.
I drive a pick up truck at the moment with no plans to change.
I personally don't know how any self respecting man could.

Manny030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Gas is expensive here in Germany ($7.8 per gallon) - so I would prefer an electric car.

2013-Tesla-Model-S_1.jpg

Kotro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Is that a Tesla, Manny? Those cars look great on paper, but I wonder hoe practical they are. I understand they are quite more expensive than Priuses, so where does the money go? I suppose it isn't just the difference in design...

Simkins

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The problem with electric cars is battery technology. Batteries are on of the most inefficient ways to store electricity but as it stands, cars can't use anything else. Once the scientists have cracked that problem then I think the industry will take off.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
When I lived on the west coast they were getting around in electric cars..most were fancy gold carts actually but were fine for going shopping and what not.
Here in Mo. they just are not practical to many days that require heat or ac, and rough roads.
People are driving hybrids around but they still spend alot of time on gas..start, stop, hills, heat, ac are requiring alot of energy.
The Prius is the most common hybrid here and seem to do ok...but do seem to get tore up with low ground clearance ,bumpers meeting packed snow and what not...its doable though if you watch what you are doing/
Most of my driving is longer commutes so gas is the way to go for me..nothing unusual for me to drive a couple hundred miles in one day.
I like alot of glass for town driving as I can be in a strange city and have to change lanes alot and at the last second...I got to have pep so when the light changes I can dart out from traffic and leave the lanes empty next to me...as I am looking for addresses street signs etc and may have to change lanes.
Nothing hybrid or electric really fits the bill for me at this time as my requirements are high.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back