Do Carbs Make You Tired?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
I had noticed over the last couple of years that after eating a meal that was comprised up of pasta, rice, or a lot of bread, that I felt very tired after. I just put this down to that feeling that a lot of people often get when they finish a meal; they become tired. But I began to notice that I felt more tired than usual, and then I just wanted to go to sleep directly after having eaten the carbohydrates.

I then came to learn that carbohydrates are known for making those that consume them tired, due to the fact that it takes quite a bit of energy from the body to break the carbohydrates down so that they can be digested and whatnot.

Have you ever had a similar experience with feeling fatigued after eating carbohydrates?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

dreamseer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Carbs are supposed to be a source of quick energy for the body, but a lot of people experience the same "let down" after eating a high carb meal that they feel from eating a lot of sweets. They really have the same effect on the body. If you really love pasta (like I do) you can try switching to whole wheat pasta, which releases its sugars into the blood slower, like any whole grain product. You might also get checked to see if you might have a wheat or gluten allergy.

isabbbela

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
As dreamseer mentioned, carbs are meant to give you energy. But yes, when you go overboard with them (specially white refined carbs) the effect is exactly the opposite! I find that specially when I eat a lot of sweets I feel like a sloth. I think it's because a lot of carbs will overwork your digestion and you need more time to process all that.

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
Yes for me which is why i try to limit carbs or i'll just be napping all day. White bread is like sugar that will give you a quick boost before making you tired. Brown bread is supposed to give you energy that lasts all day, can't say i've noticed it much. Eat wholegrain when possible, except if you need a quick fix then white bread is fine.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I was watching a food-related documentary yesterday. They said that carb-rich diets used to provide energy to a group of fireman engaged in an experiment, as opposed to the tiredness suffered by another group of them on a fat and protein diet.

Whether such statement is true or not, carbohydrates cause me sleepiness. Not always can take a nap though, and this is the sad thing.

rand paul

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I always thought Carbs made a person energetic and full of energy. This is the impression I always got from muscle mags etc.

Kyama3

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
I have noticed this myself so I only tend to eat a high carb meal if I am going to be excercising or working out in some form or another. If I'm just going to be laying around then it could lead to feeling bloated and lethargic. I like to have some fruit not long after if I'm going to eat a high carb meal, I think that glucose works well to keep me somewhat perked up.

writeletters

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Carbs are a source of energy for you. If you stop having carbs you'll notice you get tired very quickly. People will probably point out that you look very tired. If you exercise a lot don't diet and stop your carb intake, you have to have a balanced diet - which means a sufficient amount of carbs to keep your energy levels high.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
No carbs in normal quantities will offer you energy. it also depends on the carbohydrates source because some are good for you and some can produce digestive problems.

orzz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It depends. There are whats considered to be "good" carbs and "bad" carbs. Good carbs are things such as wholegrain bread, brown rice which gives more sustainable energy while if you have really processed carbs then you'll get a spike in energy and then crash before you know it.

Bictor

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose monomers that supply the quick burning energy that people need. Technically, the glucose produced from breaking down simple carbohydrates like refined sugar (white bread, white rice, pancakes, candy) is identical to that of complex carbohydrates (potatoes, whole wheat bread, etc). Eating an excess of carbohydrates can lead to a delayed sugar crash, so one can become tired off of carbohydrates. Just eat normal servings of carbohydrates and you can avoid excessive sugar crashes.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back