DIY tire garden

Users who are viewing this thread

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.30z
I know, I know...a lot of you are probably already saying to yourself, or a friend, "How redneck-y is this? A tire garden?!" But, I have to tell you, I am HUGELY into reduce, reuse and recycle. I know that a tire laying in the yard looks tacky as a pee-boy...but hear me out. PAINT them. Get creative and it'll look fabulous. Start with a bright reflective paint color. White is a good all-purpose basic color that will reflect heat and take other colours nicely. Use a good out door latex paint. Landscape and build flower towers, potato beds, lettuce beds, tomato planters, and the list is endless.

All you need is a little imagination, some paint and seeds. ;)

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
If you just want to test tires for growing, we like to grow potatoes in them. You plant the potato plant in one tire of dirt. Then, when the green part of the plant grows taller, stack a second tire on top and fill with more dirt, leaving at least 6 inches of the plant exposed. You can keep doing that for 4-5 tires in height. Then, at the end of the growing season, knock over your stack of tires. The potatoes will all be in that pile, NOT in the ground so you won't have to dig or till to unearth them. Simply sift through the dirt.

Also keep in mind for tire gardens that you don't have to keep them in round tire form. They can be cut and screwed to each other, forming raised beds in many shapes. This is often done with earthship style homes to give them the length they need on a specific wall when they need less than a whole tire size.

78,864Threads
2,185,189Messages
4,953Members
Back