Cutting Ties With Toxic Family Members

Users who are viewing this thread

Ravenfreak

Reaction score
Tokenz
405.05z
Have you ever had to cut ties with a very toxic family member? I have a grandmother who I cut ties with over a decade ago. She's super religious, and I know she would just criticize me for how I choose to live my life and treat me like garbage if I decided to start talking to her again. She's my father's adopted mother and it makes me mad how she treated my dad as he was growing up too, which is another reason why I haven't talked to her in a long time. On one hand, I do have to thank her for the things she did for my sister and I as we were kids. Sometimes I have second thoughts about wanting to contact her, but I feel like that would be a can of worms I don't need opened again.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Keight

Reaction score
Tokenz
175.38z
Sounds pretty rough :(

I stop speaking to family members all the time, mainly because i dont want the judging. at the end of the day I know they care but i dontwant to hear it if that makes sense. Everything your family does is through caring even if it doesnt come out that way.
With her treating your dad bad thats not good either but also not something you should carry with you. Its a situation for her and him to sort out.
If she is elderly aswell I think perhaps being the bigger person and reaching out, you dont know how much longer you will have with them you know! She may be wanting to reach out to you as well.

Kurbir

Fraud. Lies. Deceit.
Premium
Reaction score
Tokenz
766.45z
Only family member I cut ties with was my grandma on my dad's side. She had some choice words for me and my mom one day and I decided not to engage anymore and even refused to attend her funeral. I was never particularly close with her, so cutting all contact was not a hard thing to do.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back