Commercial Art/Communicative Art

Users who are viewing this thread

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I'm sorry, but I don't like graphic design majors. My friend is a GD graduate, and she takes MONTHS to do something I could do in an hour because she custom makes her fonts, fiddles with the spacing and the ten million different shades of red.

She makes a big deal out of fonts and composition. A BIG DEAL.

Yes, somethings do require a lot of detail work to be beautiful, but others are just a tad overworked - and for what? A ten second viewing of the GD's personal taste or feel.

SOME people are really talented though. I'm sure it doesn't take them months just to make a shipping label.

Here are some cool examples of art being communicative (basically commercial/radical).

http://www.commarts.com/exhibit/tok-stok-business-card.html

Maybe it's art, maybe it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

cam elle toe

Banned BY User's Request
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
what happened to the old days when a Graphic Designer actually had to have "artistic talent" and not just computer skills.

These days its all done for them....they only need to click buttons and twiddle knobs.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
what happened to the old days when a Graphic Designer actually had to have "artistic talent" and not just computer skills.

These days its all done for them....they only need to click buttons and twiddle knobs.
i twiddle a knob in my spare time

hardly art, though sometimes graphic

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

I completely agree. I mean all the GD majors at my school have to take all the other art classes, but it's not the same as taking out a pencil or paint brush.

But that's every field of visual arts - photography too. Talk about a crime. The disappearance of dark rooms is such a shame.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back