Children Playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
float.PNG
Before I start ranting I just wanted to make it clear, yes this is the photo section of the forum. I know this. But why not make a discussion about it? It is a serious matter, that I think people would like to address and add their brand of "2 cents" worth. A picture says a thousand words. Let's bring discussion to this portion of the forum.

So this is a picture from the Philippines. Most of you will think "OMG, is that a photo of kids during the Typhoon season seeking refuge"? It's not. It's little kids playing an water that has trash, debris, and sewer run off. Why aren't they in school? Because school is a luxury here, and you're not enforced to go especially if you can't afford it. Trust me when I say.......adults here don't give a damn. It's a normal day to see kids running the street with dirty clothes and even dirtier bare feet, begging for food and money.

This happens all over the world in poor areas. Have you witnessed this before?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I've watched documentaries about India before, where children spend all day picking through the contents of rubbish dumps, in the hope of finding something that can be exchanged for rupees.

Sailing down a sewer though, that's just awful. Not just because of the health hazards it presents but because they are young boys who should be in school or playing soccer. They should be making the most of their childhood, not being forced to have to live like this.

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I've watched documentaries about India before, where children spend all day picking through the contents of rubbish dumps, in the hope of finding something that can be exchanged for rupees.

Sailing down a sewer though, that's just awful. Not just because of the health hazards it presents but because they are young boys who should be in school or playing soccer. They should be making the most of their childhood, not being forced to have to live like this.

Actually that is a river that flows down to the ocean. A lot of people live on the river bank and all of their waste material goes into the river. Their restroom is a hole in the floor and the waste goes straight in the river, then downstream to where kids are swimming and clothes are being washed. That's how poor it is in the Philippines. This is a normal sight to see.

Shimus

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I have witnessed this before in bigger cities, but never in foreign countries (I live in the USA) and much, much less of a situation then that. That was bad. I guess the Adults really don't give a damn, everyone is into their own lives to help out the starving third world children. And that's sad, when fat rich people have to decide on what rich restaurant to eat at. While kids like this beg for an old half loaf of bread with mold all over it.

Sadly, with the current way money is viewed in the world this won't be changing.

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I have witnessed this before in bigger cities, but never in foreign countries (I live in the USA) and much, much less of a situation then that. That was bad. I guess the Adults really don't give a damn, everyone is into their own lives to help out the starving third world children. And that's sad, when fat rich people have to decide on what rich restaurant to eat at. While kids like this beg for an old half loaf of bread with mold all over it.

Sadly, with the current way money is viewed in the world this won't be changing.

The mind set here in the Philippines when it comes to grossly impoverished areas is this; "that's life". I've heard that said so many times here, and it's ingrained in the populous because everywhere you look, this is common. It's a nation of squatters. It's the norm and people drive past it everyday without thinking twice. It's dog eat dog here.

Lushlala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That's just so sad to see. Like someone else said, in today's modern times it would appear that the rich just keep getting richer, while the poorer get poorer. I have a friend who has told me how dire things are in the Philippines but I had no idea it was this bad! I hate to see kids denied the opportunity to an education, especially at that age. The government should be charged with the responsibility of ensuring kids get to finish at least primary school; that should be the priority!

I strongly believe that everyone should have access to at least basic education, health, food and clean running water. BUT of course that's not always the case. It's especially heartbreaking in countries where there are people who are hideously wealthy, yet there are people languishing in the depth of extreme poverty; when it's clear there's a grossly unfair distribution of wealth.

Shimus

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I concur with Lush, though I have to admit as well, unfortunately it's not the same everywhere else like it should be. There were accords for war, biological/chemical weapons, and peace. Why can't there be a universal bill for a poverty limit or to help people like that. Capitalism no matter where it's located can destroy if they aren't brought up in the right society/environment/country. It's really sad that not only there, but plenty of places around the world this still holds true. When we can stop fighting among ourselves and just accept charity/help from other nations we could all live better lives. We all deserve it. Even (and especially) those children.

Peachdejour

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
This reminds me of a news photo last week from India. The children in the lower social classes search the landfills for recyclables to turn in to recycling plants to help contribute to their families income. The picture showed the little girls practicing writing in old notebooks they had found. A photo does speak a thousand words, but what exactly does it say. This happens everywhere. Don't think this does not happen here. We just hide it better.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back