Can everyone be an abstract artist?

Users who are viewing this thread

One Direction

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
I've been looking at a lot of different abstract work and most of them looked like my paintings when I was still a little kid - disorganized, free style, anything goes kind of art. They say that in abstract, there are no rules or strokes to follow. You just have to lay out on the canvass what you feel. So, I've come to thinking, can anyone become an abstract artist? Is it the easiest type of art to get into for beginners? Or is there more to abstract than meets the eye?
abstract-art-somebodys-smiling.jpg

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
You are right zemmer! Besides abstract art is probable the easiest art of all because it only requires an audience willing to find an artistic sense in whatever "artwork" that you create.

This is commonly seen in comedy movies over and over, kinda joke, but real.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Anyone can be an abstract artist. You just have to get your pencil or whatever you use for drawing doodle all over it then add some colors to it and voila! Abstract art. IMO, abstract art is overrated. It makes no sense.

SS42A

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't have the creativity of a graphic artist, and at most all I can do is abstract art. From your perspective, everything that you draw, no matter how good or bad it may be, will already make you a good abstract artist.

mistymi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
But anyone can learn how to draw landscapes, people, flowers, and whatever else too. Some people are posting like all abstract art is all the same and overly simple to create but it's not. Look at Kandinsky's paintings. They're obviously more mature and intellectual than anything a kid could draw as well as a lot of other abstract art. No, I don't believe anyone could be a abstract artist. Not a good one at least.

Pierre Eustache

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.12z
I think anyone can be an abstract artist; but everybody can not succeed with that kind of art. There are tools online to create superb abstract art; so, you can do it electronically; but with paint, i think it is easier!

OhioTom76

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
To clarify, there is a lot of art that is labeled as "abstract" which is actually "non-objective" art. Abstract means to simplify something. So something like a "house" icon you might see on a web button, for example, would be an abstraction of it. It's a simplification, missing all the fine details such as paneling, trim, door hinges and such. The other thing that distinguishes "abstract" art is that it's representations of things based in reality. In other words you can make an abstract painting of a flower, it's a physical object. But work such as Jackson Pollock's paintings are really more non-objective, they're not representations of any real physical objects or beings. The whole "Op-Art" movement would also be an example of non-objective art.

I respect that some of the popular artwork referred to as "abstract" is also very minimal and therefore often elicits responses such as "I could have done that" - but I don't think it's fair to treat all abstract or non objective art as such. The painter Paul Jenkins is one of my favorite American Expressionists, whose work is much more sophisticated than just some kids artwork with spilled paint and large brushes. There is a clean poetic quality to his images, a balance and composition that you wouldn't see in some preschool artwork:

Jenkins-2.jpg

Lushlala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I'm not a huge fan of abstract art. However, I have a feeling that in as much as it sometimes looks like someone has just carelessly splattered some paint on a piece of canvas, there's a lot of detail and effort that probably goes into it! -and perhaps that's where the skill comes in; making a piece of work look effortlessly messy, if that makes sense?

BTW OhioTom76, if that's your piece of work; I like it :) I love the burst of colours used!

78,865Threads
2,185,201Messages
4,953Members
Back