Banksy = Artist? Criminal? Both?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoanMcWench

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
So, now that Banksy has been in the news (as of late) concerning his ventures in NYC I thought this question may be apropos: What should he be defined as?

Some people say he is a criminal committing crimes and calling it art. Some say he is an artist that is misunderstood and had no choice other than to put the art in places deemed illegal due to his desire everyone be free to view it. Some say it is impossible to be a graffiti artist and not be a criminal. I say if you can look at what he creates within the places he puts them to further drive a point and NOT feel anything I feel sad for you.

Who is Banksy? Less literal. More general.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Vegany

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
I only saw his stuffed animal truck and that's how I found out about him. I think he uses his talent for good, more so than a lot of other artists. I really like the awareness he tried to bring to animal as food. I have not seen his graffiti art, but if we are just talking about graffiti, sure it's considered vandalism, but I'm not too opposed to it if it's put in a location that isn't used or abandoned. Some artists have done really beautiful graffiti works and I think these people's talents should be used to brighten towns. But really, it might be helpful if you uploaded a few pics of what you are talking about.

Manny030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
He is really creative, I love this stuff. Here are some of his works...

Banksy.jpg

banksy-dreams_00349040.jpg

2508695615_7361d11105_o.jpg

banksy-olympic-rings.jpg

The meat truck video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:

BioLee

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Definitely an artist, he picked this medium of art ( graffiti ) because it has a larger impact on all kinds of people when compared to more traditional mediums mainly because you can see it everywhere and most of his stuff is controversial but most of the times true, that's why people don't like them, because he says what people don't want to "hear".

JoanMcWench

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I agree. I feel that he is and I do not say that in a judgmental fashion. Literally, he is commiting crimes that are overlooked while other 'artists' on the streets are obtaining records. So, either they waive the deeming this a crime for everyone or follow the law accordingly. I am a huge fan of Banksy and I think he would be the first to admit he is a criminal. There is no shame in it. The shame comes in when the countries calling it a crime arrest kids until they make the art worth millions.

SpiralArchitect

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
He is both no doubt about it. I don't buy the whole he is only doing it "due to his desire everyone be free to view it". I personally think he does it because this gets the message of some of his work across in a better way. Some of his graffiti work will not have the same impact if it wasn't graffiti.

Would be great if a part of the city could just be set aside for graffiti work. That would end being a beautiful place for sure. But if not, then what he is doing is definitely criminal.

Wolt

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
He's an artist for sure. Criminal? I don't really think so. His work usually has a story behind it.

His work is a great example what graffitis should be like, instead of swear words and pointless stuff like that.

Catavenger

Still a newbie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Why doesn't he ask places if they want his artwork? I have a large block fence around my property. I would give him permission as long as he was careful and didn't slop paint on the concertina razor wire that tops the fence. I would even make sure that the Doberman, Rottweiler and wolf hybrid guard dogs were locked up.

mauricioq

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
For me, he's an artist.
His works are really creative and innovative, also he started a unique movement in graffiti which pushed it to be designed as "art".
He's really skilled in my opinion.

NRiz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Banksy is definitely an artist. A genius in my mind. He's somehow managed to get people to buy his work for inordinate amounts of money. He's a super creative dude. I particularly liked his NYC venture/exhibit where he had an old man selling his work on the side of the street in NY for average street vendor prices. No one realized they were originals and hardly any sales were made.

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
An artist that gets away wit crime. Anyone else would be arrested for vandalism but he gets away with it as his artwork is so good. If you get caught spray painting on someone else's wall, just say you're an aspiring banksy

OhioTom76

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yes, he is certainly an artist. But for someone who is supposedly so private, he also seems like a bit of an attention whore at the same time. If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend checking out the documentary on him (which some believe is also a bit of a hoax) called Exit Through The Gift Shop. It's pretty entertaining even if some of it was staged, which I believe it was. Banksy gets interviewed throughout the film, and he is snarky as hell with some of his responses - it's pretty funny. I do like that he is bringing some lightheartedness and humor back to art, instead of all the lazy pretentious naval gazing crap that's at most of the museums these days.

tajnz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's just my view but I'd say both, he is certainly a talented artist and his artwork provides a great social commentary, however just because he paints art doesn't mean he isn't breaking the law.

78,865Threads
2,185,201Messages
4,953Members
Back