Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
funny thing is (i watched the testimony of a fellow KKK member of his when he was questioned)

well the guy's friend who was also in the kkk lied in the 1st trial back in 1967 about what he knew. he then (in old age) came to tell the truth in this trial to "redeem" his soul... well, now he may get time for lieing under oath.

i totally agree he (the murderer) should be punished
so should the friend who lied back in 1967

but what ever happened to double jeopardy? just b/c of a jury deadlock back then... well, i just didnt know you could be tried again after a verdict or deadlock has been reached...

Zero

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Anyone think it was ironic that this guy was (a) a part-time preacher and (b) had the last name Killen?

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I think double jeopardy applies only if there was a verdict....guilty or not guilty. Deadlock just means there was no verdict....not guilty or innocent.

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
dt3 said:
You guys hear about the guy who killed three civil rights workers in the 60's? What do you think about the sentence? Giving 60 years to an 80 year old seems like overkill, but I agree with it. He commited the crime and the punishment shouldn't change just because he's older now.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/23/mississippi.killings/index.html

He has been the number one suspect for over 30 years. There was an admittance of guilt but couldn't use it in court.

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Re: RE: 80 year old gets 60 years in jail

AtlanticBlue99 said:
funny thing is (i watched the testimony of a fellow KKK member of his when he was questioned)

well the guy's friend who was also in the kkk lied in the 1st trial back in 1967 about what he knew. he then (in old age) came to tell the truth in this trial to "redeem" his soul... well, now he may get time for lieing under oath.

i totally agree he (the murderer) should be punished
so should the friend who lied back in 1967

but what ever happened to double jeopardy? just b/c of a jury deadlock back then... well, i just didnt know you could be tried again after a verdict or deadlock has been reached...

what may have happened (with the dj issue) is that maybe some evidence was acquired not in accordance to the ways the evidence should have ben obtained, and if that happens, the evidence has to be thrown out of court... maybe the evidence thrown out was the major deciding factor for whether or not he was guilty back in '67... so they ruled deadlock, so the prosecutors could get more evidence...

:dunno

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
I'm aware with the case you're referring to, and it's undoubtedly a complicated one. While it is understandable to believe that a 60-year sentence for an 80-year-old man is excessive, it is important to remember the gravity of the crime.

magnus2022

Reaction score
Tokenz
435.62z
He is lucky that the crime is committed in civilised society. The judge suppose to give him death by hanging. Why dumping a murderer in a cell and he will consuming tax payer money?

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back