2004 Honda Accord

Users who are viewing this thread

boombala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
This happens every now and then. I put the key into the ignition and it will not turn. What I usually end up doing is opening all the doors, the truck and the protective gas flap and then close everything. That has worked for me at least 3 times.

Anyone else having this problem?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Is it just your steering wheel? Usually it's in such a position (and I'm sure a wiser car person here will say why) that stops the key from turning but if you pull on it one way or the other the key will turn.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have a similar problem with my cobalt. When I want to take the key out of the ignition, it sometimes locks up. I have to wiggle the key a bit and make it click in the right position. It's a weird quirk but doesn't happen much.

redliner

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.64z
Your ignition is fucked. You will need a new one with new keys. Change it before your somewhere and can't leave. I had this happen to me once. Don't forget you will also have to get it towed. That day cost me 1000 dollars from start to finish. Also it has to be done at the dealership btw.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
If the key looks worn drive up to a locksmith and have him cut a key by code.
Will cost about 5 to 40 bucks.
A good locksmith can figure out your cut from your worn key
Each step of the key gets a number...he then sets his machine to cut your key by code..only takes a few minutes.
If he cant do it and insists he needs to have a lock....just go to another locksmith

Stone

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Also wouldn't hurt to squirt a few drops of WD40 into the lock to see if it's only a matter of lubrication.

boombala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thanx for all the good tips. I just hate to have the dealer pick my pocket over this but Red, I hear ya. Last time this happened I had just finished grocery shopping and had a trunk full of frozen food. Think I'll put a can of WD40 in the trunk too and have a locksmith (if I can find one) take a look at the key before I take it in. Hopefully, it won't happen before then. Sigh.

nadrrek

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If the wiggling the wheel until it turns doesn't work then you could be looking at a seized ignition barrel. Definitely take it to get looked at, you may, as everyone here said, need new keys.

boombala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If the wiggling the wheel until it turns doesn't work then you could be looking at a seized ignition barrel. Definitely take it to get looked at, you may, as everyone here said, need new keys.

Happened again about a week ago only this time my honey was with me. He was trying to force the wheel and kept putting the key in and out and I told him to stop and let's just rock the car side to side. So we sat there and rocked hard in unison. I could almost hear the locking tumblers fall back into place. What a hassle. I just hope it doesn't crap out on us before we have to put $ into it because we're thinking of buying a new car and getting rid of the two older ones.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Sure your steering wheel locking isnt stopping at just the right place ?
Next time it does it be sure the steering wheel isnt held against the lock {the wheel should wiggle without hitting the lock}..if it is hitting the lock hold the wheel away from the stop then try the ignition again.

Rocking the car shouldnt affect the ignition lock hardly at all.....much less than actively pulling the key in and out etc.
Japanese locks are of the wafer variety rather than tumbler {although the term can be used for both}..anyway they tend to wear rather fast and become tolerant of the wear ..but none the less a worn key can become a problem.

An old trick is to intentionally accelerate the wear the wafer causes.
After you have the key cracked on just past the point of unlock....pull on the key with a couple pounds of force and start working{rotating} the lock to about 20 degrees then back to almost the point of lock position...rotate about 30 times...keep the pull on the key steady and constant.

Only do this once as it causes wear on the wafer where it contacts the key itself{from the pull}...our goal is to let the wafers cut a groove into the very soft metal ...thus allowing a sloppier key to operate the lock.

Dont pull hard... nor use tools or pull on the keyring.
A bare key being pinched hard with a thumb and finger is about right....as said keep the pull steady and constant as repeated pulls will cause wear on the wafer where key contact is made.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Hey, I have a question.

Sometimes when I try to turn off the car, my key will only turn part of the way. It gets stuck just before that point where the ignition allows you to take the key out. The car will turn off, but won't let me turn the key that last bit. Sometimes I just start up the car again or move the shift back and forth. Oftentimes, I hear a click, and then I can turn the key all the way and take it out. It's very frustrating.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Hey, I have a question.

Sometimes when I try to turn off the car, my key will only turn part of the way. It gets stuck just before that point where the ignition allows you to take the key out. The car will turn off, but won't let me turn the key that last bit. Sometimes I just start up the car again or move the shift back and forth. Oftentimes, I hear a click, and then I can turn the key all the way and take it out. It's very frustrating.
That sounds like it could be a problem with the switch .....the lock turns the switch,perhaps the switch is having trouble following the ramps due to wear,fractured plastic ect,

Last edited by a moderator:

JanieDough

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Dude I feel like yall are being way dramatic. I've had like 5 cars and this happens in every car.

The wheel gets locked because you park at a funky angle or something and your ignition and wheel all get locked up. Usually if you put your foot on the brake and just jiggle your wheel then it will unlock.

Not opening doors or paying up the ass for a new ignition....

MsPoppy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I had a similar problem with mine, and found out there was a recall on my years ignitions (1998). Honda replaced and keyed it for free.

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back